Fall 2012 Movie Picks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Fall is fast approaching, bringing with it an intriguing mélange of movies — from indie dramedies to fantasy adventures. Here’s a look at the most exciting films coming soon to a theater near you:

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Genre: Indie flick

Based on the 1999 acclaimed novel by Stephen Chobsky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower follows Charlie, a shy teenager just entering high school. There, he meets two seniors who take him under their wing, Patrick and Sam, played with a convincing American accent by Harry Potter alum Emma Watson.

Following the trials and travails of adolescence, the movie stands out in the fall line-up because its director — Chobsky, also authored the book on which the film is based. Chobsky refused many offers from film studios to adapt his novel and held out for his dream director. Eventually, his patience paid off. The Perks of Being a Wallflower hits theaters Sept. 14.

Lincoln
Genre: Period Piece/ Drama

Steven Spielberg and Daniel Day-Lewis team up to bring the tumultuous last four months of Abraham Lincoln’s life to the silver screen. With five Academy Awards between them, this biopic about one of America’s most beloved Presidents is sure to stir up further Oscar buzz.

The movie will be released on Nov. 9, but has already received plenty of hype over the newly released photo of Daniel Day-Lewis in the titular role. The resemblance is uncanny.

Skyfall
Genre: Action/ Thriller

In the 23rd film in the Bond franchise, James Bond is declared missing and presumed dead, after an operation run afoul. Upon his return, he finds himself in the peculiar position of mistrusting M, the head of the Secret Intelligence Service, after secrets from her past come to light.

As Bond struggles to sort out issues from within the Service, he is also dogged by Raoul Silva, the new villain, who claims to have a connection to both he and M. Skyfall, stars Javier Bardem, Ralph Fiennes and Judi Dench. It will be in theaters Nov. 9.

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2
Genre: Fantasy/ Romance

At long last, Edward and Bella’s saga is drawing to a close. Usually a reliable box-office hit and fan favorite, Breaking Dawn Part 2 is sure to draw even more attention due to the very public break-up of the two leads, Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart.

Despite the demise of their off-screen relationship, the final Twilight film is sure to deliver more intense, eye-boring gazes between the two, though they might be interrupted by parental duties.

Breaking Dawn Part 2, hits theaters Nov. 16, and it will also feature Edward and Bella’s offspring, Renesmee.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Genre: Fantasy Adventure

It’s been nine years since Middle Earth last graced movie theaters around the globe with The Lord of The Rings trilogy. On Dec. 14, Peter Jackson is bringing audiences back to the land of elves, dwarves, and hobbits with the prequel to Frodo’s adventure—The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

Jackson decided to split J.R.R. Tolkien’s book into a trilogy, using other story lines from Middle Earth explored in Tolkien’s Appendices and in his novel, The Silmarillion. This means the appearance of our favorite pointy-eared blonde elf, Legolas, as well as Galadriel, both of whom are not included in the book.

Jackson promises these additions will augment and not detract from the original storyline. The movie will follow Bilbo Baggins as he accompanies Gandalf and 13 dwarves on a quest to the Lonely Mountain. Expect an encounter with Gollum/Sméagol along the way, as well as the finding of a very mysterious, very precious ring.

Les Misérables
Genre: Musical

Anna Hathaway, Russell Crowe. Hugh Jackman. Amanda Seyfried. Helena Bonham Carter. Sacha Baron Cohen. These are the actors responsible for bringing one of the most beloved musicals of all time. And judging by the trailer for Tom Hooper’s adaptation, in theaters Dec. 14, they promise to have done an excellent job. The voice of Anne Hathaway, crooning one of the most famous ballads, “I dreamed a dream,” in the background of the trailer puts doubters of these A- list stars’ ability to sing to shame. The story, so powerful on stage, lends itself to the big screen as well with its powerful themes of redemption, revenge, sacrifice and love against the background of revolution in 19th century France.

Django Unchained
Genre: Drama/ Action

This revisionist take on history by Quentin Tarantino follows close on the heels of Inglorious Basterds. But unlike Basterds, Django Unchained takes place in the Deep South during the 1800s.

When Django is separated from his wife and held for slave auction, Dr. King Schultz offers him the opportunity to hunt down a gang of killers that only he has seen. In exchange, Schultz will set Django free and help him find his wife, who is in the oily clutches of Calvin Candie, a plantation owner. The film, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx, Christophe Waltz, and Kerry Washington, will open nationwide on Dec. 25, making itself a strange but most likely satisfying movie pick for the holiday season.

Sources:
ew.com
imdb.com 

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!