F%*# Love: Top 10 Songs for Singles on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

It’s that time of year again and love is in the air! Well… at least for some of us. For others, while your solo status is usually a minor detail, Valentine’s Day may suddenly make that “single” label feel like a scarlet letter. But not to worry! We’ve compiled a list of ten songs to help you relax and embrace your freedom this Valentine’s Day. So while all of your coupled-up friends tweet nauseating Nicholas Sparks quotes, you can throw some great lyrics right back at ‘em.  

1. “Independent Women: Part 1” by Destiny’s Child
Ah, Destiny’s Child. This early 2000s trio has become synonymous with female empowerment, and their signature anthems of independence remain timeless to all us ladies who grew up in the era of female-fronted bands. “Independent Women” is no exception, and Beyoncé, Kelly and Michelle reaffirm that you don’t need a man by your side on Valentine’s Day — or any day of the year, for that matter — to be genuinely happy. Their lyrics ring true to the fact that February 14 is as much about showing yourself the love and respect you deserve as it is about being doted upon by your significant other. So go on girls, and buy yourselves a special Valentine’s Day gift with all that hard-earned money.

2. “Put Your Records On” by Corinne Bailey Rae  
This song’s lighthearted lyrics paired with Corinne Bailey Rae’s soulful and soothing vocals make for an instant feel-good combination. “Put Your Records On” is the perfect track to dance around to in your living room while singing along obnoxiously and using your hairbrush as a makeshift microphone. Who cares if you haven’t found your soulmate yet? Nothing should stop you from enjoying yourself in the moment. So relax, kick off your Valentine’s Day with this carefree song, and take Corinne’s advice: “go ahead, let your hair down.”

3. “So What?” by Pink
When it comes to “anti-love” songs, nobody does the genre justice quite like Pink. Known for her bold lyrics and her aggressive attitude, Pink has inspired many of us to be adventurous, self-sufficient, and indifferent toward others’ opinions of us. So what if the cute boy next door doesn’t share your sarcastic sense of humor or appreciate your fierce independence? You should never have to compromise what you love most about yourself for someone else. Blast this song in your car while driving and sing as loudly as you can this Valentine’s Day, and appreciate all the things that make you, you!

4. “Ridin’ Solo” by Jason Derulo
This is is the ultimate “single-and-loving-it” ballad. Although having that special someone who will drop everything at a moment’s notice to be by your side is great, sometimes it’s when you’re on your own that you shine the brightest. Instead of dwelling on the cons of single life, take advantage of all the incredible opportunities you have right now to discover your personal passions and creative talents. With nothing – or no one – to hold you back, the sky is the limit!

5. ”Picture to Burn” by Taylor Swift
I’ll be honest, picking one Taylor Swift song out of what seemed like an endless list of revenge overtures was tough. But while our own romantic track records may not be as lengthy as T-Swift’s, we all have that one relationship we’d rather just pretend never happened. If Valentine’s Day puts you in the mood to swear off love and set fire to all your old movie tickets and love letters from What’s-His-Name, go right ahead! This song will make for the perfect background noise.

6. “Kerosene” by Miranda Lambert
The old adage “hell hath no fury like a woman scorned” could be Miranda Lambert’s personal motto. Kerosene, like many of Miranda’s songs, is a powerful and energetic tune that reflects an air of bitterness stemming from failed romances. But she doesn’t let these disappointments keep her from dusting off her broken heart and moving on as a stronger woman. Even though flying solo on Valentine’s Day can be a bit of a downer, we’re all a little wiser and tougher from the lessons we’ve learned in love.

7. “Pretty Girl Rock” by Keri Hilson
Who says you need reservations for two at a fancy restaurant as an excuse to look and feel your best on Valentine’s Day? Despite the fact that we all harbor our own insecurities, there’s no better time to shake off your self-doubt and give your ego a boost than on a day dedicated to love.  You don’t have to wait around for prince charming to tell you something the rest of the world already knows: you’re beautiful just the way you are! Let Keri’s lyrics serve as a reminder that self-confidence is the most gorgeous trait a woman can possess.

8. “Run the World (Girls)” by Beyoncé
Let’s face it: if Beyoncé declares something, it basically becomes universal law. Girls, in fact, can (and do!) run the world – no boys required. Being single on Valentine’s Day is no excuse not to treat yourself like a queen and spend a night out on the town with your best girl friends. Girl power is the cure for any relationship ill, and this upbeat ode from Beyoncé to women everywhere will be a breath of fresh air amid the overbearing, sentimental slow songs. Listen to Queen B’s catchy lyrics while getting dolled up for dinner and drinks, and remember how much power you alone possess to change the world.

9. “Go Your Own Way” by Fleetwood Mac
If you truly love something, let it go, right? In this song, Fleetwood Mac takes us through the ups and downs of a relationship and introduces a more mature approach to a tough breakup. While being angry is natural, Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham remind us to ultimately accept that some things just aren’t meant to be. But even though we don’t always get what – or who – we want, rest assured this only means that brighter days are ahead. Don’t worry, your best love is yet to come!

10. “I Will Survive” by Gloria Gaynor
Although it may not seem like it in an era where technology has made it virtually impossible to miss anniversary announcements and pictures of couples having snowball fights together (gag), you will survive Valentine’s Day! You are an incredible person whose abilities and self-worth aren’t wrapped up in a box of chocolates from the boy next door. Take this day as a chance to shower your friends, your family, and most of all yourself with lots of love and affection – because you can’t fall in love with someone else until you fall in love with you.

Katie Barbee

Chapel Hill

Katie is a senior at UNC and will graduate in May 2013 with a double major in Political Science and Journalism (Public Relations). She is currently a Teach For America finalist, and she hopes to pursue a career as an elementary-school teacher following graduation. She also serves as the Community Organizations sub-chair for the 2013 UNC Dance Marathon, which benefits N.C. Children's Hospital and is the largest student-run fundraiser on campus and in the state. She is a lover of organization, politics, the media, sports (she even plays Fantasy Football!), journaling/blogging, and enjoying a good glass of wine with her friends. ;)
Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!