This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

I’m a music fiend, one of those people who’s always looking for new songs to learn the lyrics to and sing in my car. If you’re like that too, here’s my playlist from A to Z! Some of them you might not have heard of, and some are just the essentials. Hopefully, you find at least one song that excites you!

A – “All For A Woman” by The Airborne Toxic Event

This song makes me feel something. Just wait until you get to the line “And you’re shivering cold like you’re just ten years old.” Trust me.

B – “Berenstein” by The Band CAMINO

This one hurts, everyone. It’s about a love that just never came to be, but it’s not necessarily a slow song, which somehow makes it hurt ten times more.

C – “Cain” by EXES

I love this singer’s voice. It’s so soothing and easy to hum along to. This song is also one of those “easy listening” songs, which we all need to hear sometimes.

D – “Dead Sea” by The Lumineers

Anything by The Lumineers is good, but this song, in particular, is excellent. It’s like a lullaby.

E – “Everybody Loves You” by Charlotte Lawrence

Only listen to this song if you’re in pain. It truly holds so much sadness in just over three minutes, but it’s so truly beautiful.

F – “Funeral” by Phoebe Bridgers

Phoebe Bridgers is definitely gaining popularity, which makes me happy because she’s so talented. This one remains my favorite song by her.

G – “Green” by Cavetown

Another lullaby-like song, “Green” by Cavetown is another breakup song to just wallow to. Even if you aren’t going through a breakup, though, it’s still just a pretty song.

H – “Hypocrates” by MARINA

Throwing it back to middle school for this one. Though a lot of my music taste back then was questionable, this song still holds up, and not just for the nostalgia.

I – “If This Is Love” by Ruth B.

Here’s another one to just scream in your car. Ruth B.’s voice is so low and rich that it’s easy to sing along with.

J – “Josh” by Peach PRC

I’m super excited about this song. It just came out on February 26, and it’s quickly become one of my new favorites. It’s so fun and relatable!

K – “Kiss It Off Me” by Cigarettes After Sex

Cigarettes After Sex is not everyone’s cup of tea. I’ll admit, it took me some time to appreciate them, but once I finally did, this song quickly became my favorite by them.

L – “Longwood Gardens” by Olivia Barton

This song is just plain pretty. Her vocals, the lyrics, the background harmonies, the instrumentals — all just beautiful.

M – “March To The Sea” by Twenty One Pilots

Another song from middle school that just hits different. I used to cry to this song, and sometimes still do.

N – “No Children” by The Mountain Goats

My sister showed me this song recently, and I honestly didn’t like it at first. It’s definitely an acquired taste for most people, but so worth it.

O – “Old Money” by Lana Del Rey

“Old Money” is one of Lana’s best songs in my opinion. It sounds so ethereal and angelic with her hypnotic voice and the dreamy lyrics.

P – “Paper Thin Hotel” by Matt Maltese

“Paper Thin Hotel” is probably the saddest song on this list, to be honest. It goes through all five stages of grief at once, so you’ll certainly be on an emotional rollercoaster.

Q – “Quarterback” by Wallows

This one is just fun. I love all of Wallows’ songs, and, okay, this one isn’t my favorite song of theirs, but it starts with a Q.

R – “Romeo and Juliet” by The Killers

Super nostalgic for me, this Killers song is an example of a cover that’s better than the original (it was originally sung by The Dire Straits).

S – “So Hot You’re Hurting My Feelings” by Squirrel Flower

I could go on and on about this song. It’s poppy but lowkey, happy but sad, all kinds of emotions mixed into one song.

T – “Twin Size Mattress” by The Front Bottoms

Yet another middle school throwback, I know. But you can’t deny that these lyrics really scratch a specific itch in your brain.

U – “Upper West Side” by King Princess

I love King Princess, so it’s really helpful that she had a “U” song. Not only is it relatable, but it’s also just fun to listen to.

V – “Vienna” by Billy Joel

If you haven’t had an existential crisis to this song, we are not the same. Unarguably Billy Joel’s best song, it is also one of the greatest songs of all time, period.

W – “Worst of You” by Maisie Peters

This one will hurt you and have you dancing at the same time. It’s a song about pining after someone who just doesn’t give a you-know-what about you, but it’s so catchy!

X – “xanny” by Billie Eilish

One of Billie’s best songs to date, in my opinion. It sounds so distorted in the coolest way, and it’s just an essential must-add for your playlist.

Y – “Your Best American Girl” by Mitski

When I tell you I SCREAM this song… It’s iconic. Mitski is an absolute icon, and this song is one of the best examples of that.

Z – “Zombie” by The Cranberries

While Miley Cyrus’ version is incredible, we can’t forget the original. The singer’s chilling vocals will have you obsessed.

Karleigh Wallace

Chapel Hill '22

Karleigh Wallace is an aspiring writer who is a senior at UNC majoring in English and minoring in history and creative writing.