The Easiest DIY Dorm Decorations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Like most collegiettes, I spent most of the summer before freshman year in a state of panicky anticipation at the nearly overwhelming possibilities that I was sure awaited me. Spending hours on Pinterest as we are all prone to do now and then, I planned out my future college life to a T. Needless to say, my dream dorm was set to resemble Blair Waldorf’s improbably huge NYU accommodations – until one sweaty move-in day on South Campus. Like many Tar Heel collegiettes, the thought that leapt to mind was more along the lines of “I think I’ve seen this room in a horror movie” than Elle Décor perfection. However despite the initial setback, having a cute and non-depressing dorm room is certainly neither impossible nor cost prohibitive. Even if you’ve been less than happy with bare walls all semester, now is the perfect time to get a little crafty and jazz up your dorm in time for spring. Read on for some inexpensive, easy dorm crafts that will make your room the envy of the whole dorm

DIY Ribbon Board
This one is a classic and is super easy to customize for any room. All you need is a foam board (or for a more substantial base, a cork board), a piece of fabric large enough to cover it, some decorative ribbon and a few push pins.

Staple the fabric to the back of the board so it’s snug and flat. With the ribbons, lay them diagonally across and tack at the intersection points and on the edges. For a more polished look, hot glue the ends around the board. Mount on a wall for an organized yet stylish touch!

Decorative dry erase board
This is probably the easiest DIY project, yet it looks super chic and helps you get organized without a big, grade school-esque whiteboard dangling from the walls. The size is customizable as well – any size picture frame will work. Take the insert out and replace it with decorative paper of your choice – many craft supply store have hundreds of options in the scrapbooking section. Replace the glass and voila! You are now ready to begin crossing things off your to-do list with any dry erase marker. Hang one on the wall or even prop one on your desk, it’s up to you.

Canvas Quotes
Ever seen a quote on Pinterest or somewhere else you thought would make a great tattoo? Well, hanging it in your dorm is the commitment-phobe (and less painful) way to see those words every day! All you need is a blank canvas of your choosing and paint. Pick a quote that inspires you and get creative. You can use a stencil for the letters or freehand them. For the background, do a simple pattern or paint it a solid, contrasting color.

Magazine collage
Have old magazine sitting around cluttering things up? Resurrect the decoupage craze with a little decorative collage. Cut out as many pictures as you want – fashion, beauty, travel, whatever catches your eye – and attach them to any available surface. Picture frames, bedside tables, or just regular canvases work well for this, especially if you aren’t confident about your ability to paint quotes legibly.  Stick the pieces on with Modge Podge and end with another coat to make the top shiny and varnished. This is perfect for spicing up the walls of any fashion-obsessed collegiette!

Have fun crafting, collegiettes!

Sources:
http://7layerstudio.typepad.co…
http://pleasantriesandpitbulls…
http://pinterest.com/pin/105834659965279574/
http://jp1.r0tt.com/l_3fd88780…

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!