This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

In honor of this week’s beauty theme, I invited over a couple of my friends for a girls’ night in filled with movies, popcorn, music, and DIY face masks! I googled some recipes beforehand and decided to try them out before trying to make my own mask.

The Honey Mask

Recipe:

• 2 tablespoons of honey 
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon 
  • 1 wedge of lemon

Keep mask on for 20 minutes.

The first mask I found is actually one I’ve used before. I have trouble with acne and discoloration, and I’ve heard (from my mother) that lemon, cinnamon, and honey combined together help minimize dark spots, decrease inflammation, and soak up oil. My friend Grace (featured above) noticed a significant difference after using the mask. She said that it helped brighten and refresh her face and that she wouldn’t mind using it in the future if needed. 

The Banana Yogurt Mask

Recipe:

• ¼ a mashed banana
  • 2 tablespoons of organic Greek yogurt
  • 1 wedge of lemon

Keep mask on for 20 minutes.

The second mask I found I hadn’t used before, but I had heard that bananas and yogurt help brighten and moisturize the face. My friend Selena (pictured above) didn’t notice a big difference in her face until the next morning when she, unfortunately, noticed that the mask gave her a minor break out. The idea of the mask was fun, but she said that she wouldn’t use it in the future.

After searching through list after list for different DIY mask recipes, I decided to make my own DIY mask to test on my face. Here is what I came up with!

The Fresh-Feeling Mask

Recipe:

• 2 tablespoons of organic Greek yogurt
  • ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1 wedge of lemon
  • 1 cut up strawberry

Keep mask on for 20 minutes.

I chose these ingredients because I knew that lemon and cinnamon would help brighten my face and reduce inflammation. After some research, I discovered that the yogurt and strawberry would help moisturize and remove oil from my face. The mask made my skin feel soft and refreshed (hence the name fresh-feeling). The morning after, however, I noticed that it made me break out a little bit. Besides the minor breakout, I actually liked the way the mask made my face feel and look. I will use it in the future, especially this summer to help cool and refresh my face.

DIY face masks are all about trial and error. Researching what ingredients work well together and work for skin your type is super important! 

Try one of these masks today or create your own using some of the ingredients listed!

I am currently a student at UNC Chapel Hill studying English and Communications. In the future I hope to become a writer/producer for the Disney company. "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." -Christopher Robin, Winnie the Pooh