“The Devil All the Time” Might Be Tom Holland’s Best Work

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Contrary to Spiderman’s boyish wonder, the intriguingly troublesome inner turmoil of Arvin Eugene Russell becomes the focal point of Tom Holland’s performance in The Devil All the Time. The post-World War II southern gothic follows the inherently dark and disturbed life of Arvin Russell as he battles with his own damned destiny. Not only is the composition of each shot something to rave about, but the cast alone is a selling point for this recommendation. Within the first hour, we see Bill Skarsgard, Sebastian Stan, Robert Pattinson, Harry Melling and, of course, Tom Holland. Holland’s portrayal of Marvel’s Spiderman proves his knack for an American accent, but this period drama exceeds every level of difficulty which, ultimately, Holland masters.

Though Holland’s deep southern accent is an accomplishment on its own, he also manages to makes a violent vigilante someone relatable. Battling hereditary wrongdoings isn’t something that I have ever experienced, but Holland’s portrayal of Arvin Russell made me sympathize with a character with whom I share no commonalities. I cried when he cried, loved when he loved, and hurt when he hurt. Arvin Russell is an unequivocally unique and original character interwoven with trauma and striving for sanctification, themes difficult to grasp for both an audience and an actor. The planning, thought and effort Holland put into this character is obvious, and the character is a pleasant and surprising contrast to his previous roles. 

Furthermore, the tumultuous plot is the closest thing to an uphill hike that I’ve seen in quite a while. There are no lulls in the plot, but instead, a constant cycle of violence and heartache. The shots were beautifully framed and perfectly exhibited the emotion of each scene, be it tension, anger, grief or distress. My brain frantically tried to make sense of the beauty my eyes perceived while grappling with the horror my heart felt. As someone who can barely get through a two-hour movie if it’s not Harry Potter or The Avengers, it surprised me to be on the edge of my seat for the entire two hours and 18 minutes, unwilling to let myself slip away for even a moment.

However, this is not to say that I would recommend this movie to everyone who I pass on the street. It’s haunting, disturbing, violent and certainly not for the faint of heart. The Devil All the Time is an important commentary on religion, faith and salvation which deserves an audience, but it is, understandably, not for everyone. Though it tops my personal favorites list, it is imperative to keep your well-being in check throughout the movie as the film pushes the boundaries of unsettling and uncomfortable, almost to a fault. The Devil All the Time is a powerful film with a star-studded cast, delicately crafted writing and directing and impressive cinematography. All in all, a phenomenal watch for anyone looking for an unnerving movie to add to their watchlist.

Grace Garner

Chapel Hill '23

English and Journalism double-major at UNC Chapel Hill just waiting to live out her dark academia aesthetic. https://www.linkedin.com/in/grace-garner-4244011a6/