The Countdown to Catching Fire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

With November already here, most students are counting down the days until Thanksgiving Break, but Catching Fire fans are looking forward to a different date…November 22nd. Since the first movie of the trilogy hit theaters last March, fans have been squirming with anticipation for the next installment. With several teasers and promos slowly surfacing over the past year, the fandom can barely contain themselves as they wait for the 75th Annual Hunger Games to commence.

The movie hasn’t even hit theaters, but it is already getting some intense reviews. Just like Katniss, experts predict the movie will “burn up” at the box office, breaking all kinds of records when it hits theaters later this month. As you’re anxiously awaiting the movie’s arrival, here’s a list of things you can do to prepare yourself for the big day.

1. Read the book

We all know movie adaptations are often different, so why not take some time out from studying and read the book? While the movie is sure to be nothing short of amazing, the book is super awesome in its own right (Hello, #1 New York Times Bestseller?). Even if you’ve already read the book before, reread it before you go to the theater. You can familiarize yourself with the characters again and relive your favorite moments.

2. Get a group together

Going to the movies is always more fun when you go with your friends. Before the big day, get a big group together to go see the midnight premiere. Maybe grab a bite to eat before hand, you don’t wanna be “hungry” while you’re watching the movie.

3. Buy your tickets

If you do plan on going to the midnight premiere (I mean why would you not?), make sure to buy your tickets in advance. That way you save the hassle of waiting in the ticket line the night of. But hurry fast, Catching Fire is a “hot” commodity and its selling out fast.

4. Listen to the soundtrack

The soundtrack has an A-list set featuring songs by Coldplay, Lorde, Ellie Goulding, and Christina Aguilera, just to name a few.  Even though the entire soundtrack hasn’t been released yet, there are a few songs out there. Coldplay’s “Atlas,” for example, which is the first song the band has ever written and performed for a motion picture, has already received the Hollywood Song Award.

5. Plan your outfit

Whether you’re a fanatic and want to go all out in your Capitol gear, or if you simple want to style your hair in Katniss’ infamous braid, dress up! It may seem silly, but there will probably be plenty of other people doing it, especially at the midnight premiere. And really, who doesn’t want to be Katniss for a day?

6. Watch the trailer

And then watch it again…and again…and again. Seriously though, who doesn’t love looking at Josh and Liam…erhm Peeta and Gale? Get a glimpse of what you’ll see on the big screen when you watch the various trailers on YouTube.

After you see the movie in theaters, don’t fret, the fun doesn’t end there. As if seeing Josh Hutcherson on the big screen wasn’t enough, you can watch him again November 23, when he hosts SNL! Can someone say after party?

Kelsie Gibson

Chapel Hill

Kelsie Gibson is a senior Communication Studies major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She is from Kannapolis, NC. She is a member of Phi Beta Chi sorority. She loves to sing, act, write, and spend time with family and friends.
Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.