Carpe Diem in the A.M.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion.

Well, it’s that time of the day again. You may find yourself wishing you went to bed earlier or pondering whether going to work or class is actually worth leaving the comfort of your cozy bed. Skipping one workout for an extra hour of sleep won’t hurt, right? If you’re anything like me, you’ve probably already snoozed your alarm six times. The truth is, how you approach each morning can affect the rest of your day. With a healthy wake-up routine, you can hit the ground running each morning and enjoy a significantly more productive day. If you ever feel like there aren’t enough hours in the day, check out these tips to wake up in the morning feeling like P. Diddy.

Go to sleep and wake up at the same time.
What you’ve heard is true, and setting up this routine is more realistic than it seems. Sleeping, like most other behaviors, is a habit. Eventually, you may not even need the bane of your existence, the alarm clock, to help you wake up.

Rehydrate to revitalize your body.
After a whole night of not drinking (or an entire night of way too much drinking …), your body is craving water. Try setting out a glass of water next to your bed to drink first thing when you wake up.

Give yourself more time.
Nothing is worse than being rushed and frazzled in the morning. Setting your alarm 15 minutes earlier will help you start your day calm and collected. Take the extra time to stretch, plan your outfit for the day or crank out some push-ups if you’re feeling ambitious.

Forget the snooze.
We are all guilty – one innocent five-to-ten-minute snooze sesh, and the next thing you know, it’s two hours later. Wake up right away when your alarm goes off and think to yourself, “oh let’s do it.” To make it easier, whether it’s a person, event or even a meal, have something to look forward to every day.

Never skip breakfast and take your vitamins.
Yes, I realize I sound like your mother. But seriously, it’s true. Having a healthy breakfast and replenishing your body with vitamins will help you get energized to tackle the day. Not to mention, eating a good breakfast will keep you from overeating during the rest of your meals.

Get your heart moving.
An early morning workout will help you shake the sleepiness, stimulate your digestive system and build your energy for the remainder of the day. You’ll be so proud of yourself after your workout, you’ll completely forget how badly you didn’t want to leave your bed an hour earlier.

Focus on the positive.
You didn’t get to sleep those extra 30 minutes. So what? Be happy. Your thoughts create your experience. If you wake up with a negative attitude, you’re probably going to have a miserable day. Wake up, open your curtains, listen to a little Man in the Mirror by Michael Jackson and take on the day. It’s a beautiful day to be you.

Keep these tips in mind and you’ll find yourself having more time to do the things you actually enjoy doing. If all else fails, get a dog and you’ll have no choice but to get up.

Photo Sources:
Yogurt (photo): 4.bp.blogspot.com; http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_NlytKQ5MEHg/THukRg4URsI/AAAAAAAAAV4/eQw2c8F8owQ/s400/fruit-and-yogurt.jpg
Happy Girl (photo): themomwrites.com; http://www.themomwrites.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/happy-girl.jpg
Running on the beach (photo): articlesweb.org; http://www.articlesweb.org/blog/wp-content/gallery/advantages-of-morning-exercise-for-weight-loss/advantages-of-morning-exercise-for-weight-loss-7.jpg

Sophomore, PR major at UNC