free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Career Advice I Wish Someone Would’ve Given Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

For you freshmen, sophomores, and maybe even juniors, I’m sure the last thing on your mind right now is getting a job after college. You’re more concerned about how to talk to the cute boy in your recitation and not failing chemistry. Plus, the future is so far away right? Wrong! Senior year sneaks up on you like the Freshmen 15, and before you know it everyone wants to ask you, “What are you doing after college?” For some, it’s furthering their education at grad school or med school or law school, but for a large majority of us… the answer right now is, “Getting a job I hope.” And while I fully encourage you underclassmen to enjoy your time here at the greatest university in the world, I would also recommend that you consider your future every now and again. Because like I said… it comes around faster than you will ever believe. Here are a few of the things I wish I would’ve known as an underclassmen when thinking about finding a job in the future:

Really think about what you want to do. It’s easy to pick a major freshmen year and go through the motions to get your degree but as you’re sitting in Econ or finance or Intro to Advertising… really consider if that’s what you want to do for the rest of your life. Sure, you can find a job that’s not the same as what’s on your degree, but it’s a lot easier when you have some experience and an idea of what you’re getting into.

Get some related experience. It may be tempting to nanny or lifeguard for the summer as a way to earn some money and still get a decent tan. But what I’ve learned in my job hunt is that the number one thing most companies look at when hiring students out of college is what kind of experience they have… this typically means internships. And that might mean you have to endure an unpaid internship, but when everyone has college degrees these days, internships are gold.

Start making connections. Yes, grades and internships are important but connections are everything. The job market is competitive right now so if you know anyone who can help you get your foot in the door somewhere, maintain good relations with them! It won’t guarantee a job one day, but it might help get you an internship or at least an interview. So your roommate’s boyfriend’s dad works for a television station in Raleigh and you’re trying to be a reporter? Ask to meet him, email him, etc. because I’m telling you, those connections will be priceless in a few years.

On that note, make yourself known to your professors. It takes an extra 15 minutes out of your day to go into office hours and talk to one of your really cool professors who used to work in New York City. Making connections with professors is 1) great for asking for recommendation letters in the future 2) a way to get advice about pursuing an internship or job and 3) they’re sometimes just really interesting and fun to talk to so, why not?

Have fun while you’re here. Looking for a job is stressful, buying a suit is expensive, writing cover letters is painful, and thinking about leaving college is both sad and terrifying. Not to say there aren’t perks of being a senior (hello – being 21!), but I’m envious of those of you who have 2, 3, and ugh-I’m-so-jealous 4 years left here. So have fun and enjoy yourself, but also set yourself up to be successful. Life’s all about balance, right?

Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.