Campus Profile: Susannah Stewart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Susannah Stewart is my suitemate this year at the University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill. While my roommate and I sing along to radio music in the shower, Susannah fills the room with angelic operatic songs. Read what she has to say about being a student pursuing classical music in a world of rap, trap and EDM.

Name: Susannah Stewart

Year: First year

Age: 19

Major: Music

Hometown: Chapel Hill, NC

What is an interesting fact about yourself?

“I was born at UNC Hospitals! I am the definition of Tar Heel born and bred.”

What is the process like for applying to college for music?

“Everyone has to audition either through video or live performance. The latter is recommended.”

How did you get into singing opera?

“My mom was a professional opera singer and performed all around the world. I grew up around classical music.”

What are the most common themes in operas?

“Usually operas are about love, death, scandal and infidelity. Most are either in German or Italian but recently, more operas are being published in English.”

What is the prime age for opera singers?

“Anywhere from thirty to fifty years old. I did not start taking opera voice lessons until age thirteen because starting too early can have a negative impact on voice development.”

What are you doing this summer?

“I got my first major role in an opera in Italy!”

Wow! Congratulations! Have you been to Italy before?

“Yes. I’ve been fortunate enough to visit Italy about fifteen times.”

Are people surprised when they find out your passion for singing opera?

“Definitely. No one expects it.”

Who are your favorite singers?

“My favorites are Renée Fleming, Beverly Sills, Kiri Te Kanawa, and Kathleen Battle.”

Have you met any of them?

“I’ve met Fleming and Battle. Sills passed away but I hope to meet Te Kanawa. I love that all four singers are sopranos but sound different from each other.”

What is one misconception that people have about opera singing?“Most people think I only sing opera but in order to sing opera, I train in classical music. Classical music entails more than just opera music.” 

What is your favorite thing about training in classical music?

“I love that training in classical music gives me the founding and techniques I need to tackle any type of music. Classical voice sets you up for success.”

Eunice Kim

Chapel Hill

NJ born and bred, UNC 2019