Campus Cutie: Jay Peterkin ‘17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

If you talk to him he’ll probably tell you that he’s single and looking.. to donate to his Global Brigade fund, and to apply for the Harvey Beech Scholarship. Now, here’s the real scoop on Jay Peterkin.

Age: 19

Hometown: Holly Springs, N.C.

Major: Business Administration

Minor: Philosophy & Spanish for the Professions

Motto to Live By: “To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.” – Lord Alfred Tennyson

HC: So, what are you involved with on campus?

JP: Right now, I’m involved with Harmonyx, the Daily Tar Heel, MLK Coordinator, Carolina R.I.S.E, Minority Business Student Alliance, Minority Student Recruitment Committee and the Consulting Club.

HC: How do you stay sane with such a busy schedule?

JP: Most of the time, it’s just about staying organized and taking time for myself, which is hard to do. Sometimes, I just have to put work aside and have fun.

HC: So, in your free time, what do you like to do?

JP: Either photography or watching Netflix: Friends, The Office, Scandal or Breaking Bad. Though, my favorite would probably be House of Cards.

HC: Why did you decide to come to UNC?

JP: I decided to come for the atmosphere. I loved that the students here are intelligent and kind of chill. They all seem to have goals that are bigger than life.

HC: What would you say is your biggest accomplishment thus far at Carolina?

JP: I would say making the Harmonyx a capella because it’s something different and out of my comfort zone. I’ve been in love with them since my junior year of high school.

HC: What would be your dream job?

JP: Getting paid to travel the world.

HC: Since you’re looking for bae, what’s your idea of a perfect date?

JP: A road trip – doing whatever comes to mind and driving with no destination. But that gas is no joke.

HC: If you could have anyone in the world, who would it be?

JP: My mind automatically goes to Zoe Saldana – she’s very beautiful and passionate. She’s overcome a lot of hardship and stays true to whom she is. And she’s beautiful.

Want to keep up with Jay? Follow him on Twitter, @iPreferJay, and be on the look out for him at Kenan-Flagler, the next Harmonyx concert, or somewhere practicing his photography!

Kiana Murden

Chapel Hill

Kiana Murden is a sophomore at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She is a Journalism - Public Relations major with a cognitive science minor. She is an Orientation Leader, Carolina Fever Public Relations Director, and a member of UNC Dance Marathons Fundraising Committee. When not focusing on school or work, she is probably shopping (or wishing she was).