Campus Cutie: Anondo Banerjee, ‘15

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

My friendship with Anondo Banerjee began with an awkward moment. We met two years ago at a low-key get-together at his brother’s apartment, where mutual friends were playing cards, chatting about literature and having an all-around merry time.

Without going into too much detail about the awkwardness of our first meeting (because neither of us wants to relive that…just kidding, ‘Nondo!), basically a couple of comments were exchanged and then there was a weird silence. Honestly, though, it was one of those moments that, looking back, it’s hard for us not to laugh about.

After that day, I thought our then-acquaintanceship wouldn’t go beyond the occasional handwave in the Pit or obligatory small talk about classes. I’m so glad to say that wasn’t the case. Several months later, I started dating his roommate and spending lots of time in the dorm where they live, and simultaneously got to know Anondo beyond the fact that he’s majoring in biology.

One of the things that has stuck out most to me about Anondo is that he’s honest, open and passionate about the causes that he cares about. It’s hard to find a heart that’s bigger than Anondo’s.

The UNC junior is involved with a select few campus organizations that he dedicates his time and energy to each week, including Honor Court and RELIC, UNC’s on-campus religious plurality organization. He’s also a part of the new UNC Men’s Project, which promotes healthy masculinity.

“This group is important to me because I’ve heard so many of my issues about masculinity verbalized by other men,” Anondo says. “To know that other people are thinking the same thing that I am is powerful.”

Joining UNC’s Community Empowerment Fund, a nonprofit that provides support for members of the Chapel Hill and Durham communities, has also had a big impact on Anondo’s college experience.

“Being part of this organization has been important to me to get a sort of context,” Anondo says. “Working in the office every week never fails to remind me that I have a certain privilege as a college student, and also that most of the stereotypes about the homeless or the working poor perpetuated by the media are completely wrong.”

What else makes Anondo an amazing person to be around? He’s funny, down-to-earth and incredibly genuine (not to mention charming – I mean, just look at those eyes, ladies!). Above all, he’s someone I deeply admire and look up to. There are many other things I could say about Anondo Banerjee, but I’ll let him speak for himself.

HerCampus: What are your favorite Cold Stone and Yopo flavors?

Anondo Banerjee: Butter Pecan/Cookies and Cream

HC: Favorite study spot?

AB: One of those solitary desks in the UL

HC: Give us a fun fact about yourself.

AB: I’ve gone skydiving

HC: What’s your motto?

AB: The world is kinda sh***y; surround yourself with good people.

HC: Favorite color?

AB: A dark green

HC: Favorite food?

AB: This is a hard question. I guess a meal that I see as sort of fancy but also really easy to make and tasty is just some steak and mashed potatoes.

HC: Biggest turn-offs?

AB: Ignorance without even the attempt to listen to others

HC: What’s been the most awkward moment in your life (so far)?

AB: There was definitely a time when I went to a concert I complained to a paraplegic about how my legs were cramping. She responded with “I don’t know how that feels.”  

HC: Future career goal?

AB: Far into the future, I’d like to be President. But first I’d like to do work in interpersonal violence prevention. Not sure how that transition is going to work…

HC: Favorite song?

AB: Right now, Birds of Tokyo’s cover of “Swimming Pool” by Kendrick Lamar

HC: Person who inspires you the most?

AB: My brother

HC: Favorite pick-up line?

AB: I hate pick-up lines, but recently I mistook a woman’s necklace that said her name in Arabic for the word “sexy” in English and told her as such. Apparently that was smooth.

HC: What’s your idea of a perfect date night?

AB: We go to get something tasty to eat, maybe we go do something neither of us has done before – zip lining, rock climbing, etc; but we spend most of our time talking. We find each other interesting enough that the hours slip away. HC: What are you most passionate about?

AB: Ending sexual assault on UNC campus

HC: Tell us a secret.

AB: It took me an embarrassingly long time to learn how to tie my shoes.

HC: Words to live by?

AB: It is in fact better to be happy than to be successful.

Wendy Lu

Chapel Hill

Wendy is a senior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with majors in journalism (reporting track) and psychology. Between juggling classes, reading blogs and writing her senior honors thesis on social media personas, Wendy serves as managing editor for UNC’s Blue & White Magazine and print editor for The Durham VOICE. She has written for multiple publications, including Chapel Hill’s The WEEKLY and The Daily Tar Heel. Check out her blog at http://wendyluwrites.blogspot.com