Campus Celebrity: Rameses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is known for many great things: it’s students, faculty, opportunities, championships, Michael Jordan, and the loveable mascot Rameses. However, many never think about the students who don the mascot uniform on every game day, at on or off campus events, the students that hype up the crowd, take pictures with UNC fans, and committing a large portion of their time to UNC fans everywhere. With the COOLEST job on campus (second only to the Chancellor, perhaps), the BEST mascot sat down with Her Campus UNC for an interview. For anonymity purposes, we’ll refer to our campus celebrity this week as Rameses 1.

When asked why he chose to apply for one of the coolest jobs on campus, our loveable mascot responded, “I love Carolina and wanted to be apart of the gameday atmosphere. I’ve been doing this for two years and it’s always fun.”

HC: “What is your favorite sports memory?”

Rameses 1: “I have a couple! At my first football game as Rameses, I missed the entrance cue to run out of the tunnel. At a gymnastics meet a little girl gave me a picture she had drawn of her and Rameses.”

HC: “What is your favorite part about Chapel Hill?”

Rameses 1: “UNC is the heart and soul of Chapel Hill. I love the college town atmosphere and being in a place where the school is the heartbeat of town is cool.”

HC: “What does being Rameses mean to you?”

Rameses 1: “As Rameses, I’m representing a university and student body that has so much to stand for. I’m apart of a very prideful bunch. It’s an honor to put it [the mascot uniform] on.”

HC: “What do you hope to do after you leave UNC?”

Rameses 1: “I want to be an Athletic Director or get involved with Student Affairs!”

As with Rameses 1, the students who sport the uniform are dedicated, remarkable, energetic, and integral parts of The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill! Continuing his third year as Rameses, Rameses 1 is excited for what surprises the new school year has in store!

Image 1: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200125087182172&set=pb.1000344612.-2207520000.1377458388.&type=3&permPage=1

Image 2: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151605381206156&set=pb.154767986155.-2207520000.1377459005.&type=3&theater

Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.