Campus Celebrity: Mallory Hoffman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

This small town native definitely doesn’t have small dreams. Sophomore Mallory Hoffman spent her summer interning in India, teaching dance to kids living in slums. She loves to spend her free time outdoors hiking and backpacking and exploring nature.

Name: Mallory HoffmanYear: SophomoreHometown: Elon, NCMajor: Peace War and Defense, Political Science Double major 

HC: Tell me about your internship in India this summer. Mallory Hoffman: Where to start? My internship in India was in a town called Ahmedabad, one of the largest cities in India. In those cities, I would go to a different slum each day and teach kids dance. The idea was to keep them fit and healthy, while giving them a break from the long day of studying. Also, it was a great way for me to learn the language.

HC: What surprised you the most?MH: How friendly the people were. Take a look at the South, and one might think they are the most friendly people in the world, but go to India, and you’ll find that I was in a different locals’ home every night for dinner.  

HC: What’s the biggest takeaway from your internship? MH: To learn to be comfortable with the idea of being uncomfortable 

HC: What groups are you involved with on campus?MH: Triangle Institute for Security Studies, Sigma Rho Lambda and regular yoga classes through Rams Fitness and the SRC. 

HC: How do you find the time to do so many activities? MH: I somehow manage to be really productive in the morning, so even if I want to sleep in, I’ll wake up early to do my work.  

HC: What’s your binge worthy TV show?MH: I hate to say it, but i don’t really watch TV. I used to watch John Stewart, but he’s not around in the show business anymore.  

HC: Favorite comfort food?MC: Everything from Elmo’s diner in Durham. 

HC: Favorite place to study on campus?MH: My desk. I have this red light that makes everything so relaxing when I study. 

HC: Advice to a new UNC student?MH: Learn to be comfortable with being uncomfortable. It’s perfectly fine to be awkward.

Rachael is a senior public relations major at UNC–Chapel Hill. In addition to being the president/co-campus correspondent of Her Campus Chapel Hill, Rachael is also a member of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority and a mentor for EASE, a study abroad organization. She is an enthusiast of Snapchat, strong coffee, and "hardcore parkour" goat videos.