Campus Celebrity: Jessica Murfree ‘15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Senior exercise and sport science major Jessica Murfree talked to Her Campus about her numerous involvements in Carolina athletics – from VP of Carolina Athletic Associations to her sports marketing internship in the UNC athletics department. The Atlanta, Georgia native also helps run game operations with various sports teams such as men’s soccer, women’s basketball and football. Read on to learn more!

HC: What is your role in CAA?

JM: I’m vice president of CAA. I do more of organizational types of things. I did a lot of the planning and execution for Late Night With Roy. The purpose of CAA is to be the liaison between the athletic department and the student body. So, I sort of serve as that person who’s in communication with the athletic department and the students.

HC: What was your favorite part about putting on Late Night With Roy?

JM: This is the third Late Night I’ve been a part of and it was the most successful in that it went really smoothly, and because of that I got a lot of praise for handling it so well. I really like that, feeling like you’re appreciated for doing something so big that includes a whole community. For the whole beginning semester I was stressed out about it, but seeing all my hard work and the work of others come together for such a big production is always really satisfying.

HC: What do you do in your sports marketing internships?

JM: A lot of the loose ends in marketing are left to the interns. For men’s soccer, I do all of the on campus pre-game, during game, and post-game marketing. If were having an event, [I do] autograph signing or players in the pit. I do a lot of their social media – some of the Twitter and Instagram. Anything fun or personal, that’s me.

HC: How did you start interning with the soccer team as a freshman?

JM: They won the national championship that year and I was not a sport administration major at that time but wasn’t really liking the major that I had. I thought I should change and catch up for lost time and get involved with a sport. I made the contact to the athletic department. They told me to reach out to the coaching staff, meet with them over coffee and I’ve been with them ever since.

HC: What advice would you give to a younger student who wanted to get involved?

JM: I would say, ‘Don’t be afraid to start making connections.’ Don’t be intimidated by other people striving for success. Make yourself stand out. Don’t expect opportunities to be handed to you. You will have to volunteer, it’s not always, ‘We want to pay you today.’ Volunteer, make yourself available and the opportunities will come. Take advantage of them.

HC: What is the biggest struggle you have found working in athletics?

JM: Recently I realized how difficult it can be being a minority and being a girl in sports. I haven’t personally faced too bad of a hardship, but I have been exposed to that and I’ve seen how difficult it can be. That was a wake-up call. I’m fortunate enough to not have to deal with it yet, but I’m preparing myself in case I do. I try to do the best I can and use my ethnicity and gender not as a handicap, not as an excuse, but as an advantage.

HC: What is your favorite thing about the holidays?

JM: I love Christmas. I think I love Christmas more than anyone. I don’t really like New Years and people think that’s weird. I carry Christmas out from December 1st to January 1st. I love wearing Christmas sweaters, and baking things and giving presents. I’m out of state, so going home is always the best part.

HC: Any finals stress reliever tips or things you do?

JM: Sometimes, I like to watch Netflix to relieve stress, but then after I watch an hour of a show, I’m more stressed out. Scheduling breaks is one of my favorite things to do.