Campus Celeb: Rachael Hamm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Most of us can barely balance working out, studying, campus activities, and hanging out with friends, but sophomore Rachael Hamm has spent the better part of this semester training for a 26-mile marathon! Our campus is full of amazing people, and Rachael is no exception.

Name: Rachael Hamm

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Conover, NC

Major: Biology

Minor: Chemistry

Three-word description: Driven, Enthusiastic, Genuine

Favorite YoPo Flavor: Mango

Life motto: Just an exam, remember the big pic

HC: What was it like running your first marathon and qualifying for the Boston marathon?

RH: I still can’t believe I did it! I did half-marathons in high school and ran track and cross country, but when I got to college it multiplied, I guess. The summer before my freshman year, a close friend of mine died. She and I promised each other that we would run a marathon together, so I was like, “Okay, I have to do this. I have to run a marathon.” It was hard but it was awesome and I could not recommend it enough. Crossing the finish line, there are few moments in my life when I’ve felt that awesome.

HC: What was the training process like?

RH: My friend and I kept each other accountable and I guess I started back in July or August. Depending on what the week was like and how much time I had, I tried to run between 4 and 7 miles for four of the five weekdays. The weekends were for “long runs,” and the first long run was 8 miles. Throughout the plan, I did two 20-milers, a 10-miler, and it just kept growing. Three weeks before the race, we started tapering, which means you decrease your mileage so your body can start recovering in time for the race. So, the week before I was running 2 miles a day. It was so weird, and I was like, “Oh my God, I am not going to be ready,” but it was just so my body could be ready for the marathon.

HC: What else are you involved in on campus or in the community?

RH: Something that I’ve stayed passionate about is educating people on sexual assault, especially on campus and in general. So I’m a social media intern for One Act and a committee member for Student Government’s Safety and Wellness, which works on more preventative things. I’m a member of club cross country, and I’m going on a Nicaragua trip with Global Brigades this spring break. I’m also working on getting involved in research.

HC: What are you hoping to gain from the global brigade?

RH: So I’ve always wanted to be a doctor since I was like 5 years old, but this past summer, I worked with a dentist for a month or so, and he was really trying to get me interested in dentistry. He’s one of the few doctors the firstwho I’ve shadowed that said, “I would do this again.” I’ve never really thought about dentistry, but now I think I need to try and see if it’s for me. I think since this trip is medical and dental, hopefully it will help me figure out whether or not I should go to medical school or dental school.

HC: What has your favorite moment at UNC-CH been so far?

RH:  I don’t know if I can necessarily pinpoint “the best,” but one great experience was the [men’s basketball] Louisville game. I was front row and everyone was screaming; it was an incredible win! Just talking about it makes me even more excited for this season—#1 SEED, beating DOOK, and national champs.

HC: Any advice for people considering coming to UNC-CH?

RH: UNC is this incredibly happy place; however, that comes with a lot of pressure to do well and get good grades. Last year as a freshman I think I may have put too much pressure on myself, stress is important but it gets to a point where it’s not healthy. Don’t forget the other reasons we are at UNC – friendships, love, education outside the classroom! Love your friends, and build those friendships… friends and family are the ones that will always be there for you. It’s just an exam, remember the big pic.

Follow her on Twitter and Instagram at @ibehamm to keep up with her!

Karishma Patel is a sophomore Journalism-Editing and Graphic Design major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She is also on the pre-medicine track.
Rachael is a senior public relations major at UNC–Chapel Hill. In addition to being the president/co-campus correspondent of Her Campus Chapel Hill, Rachael is also a member of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority and a mentor for EASE, a study abroad organization. She is an enthusiast of Snapchat, strong coffee, and "hardcore parkour" goat videos.