Campus Celeb: Michael Thornburg ‘15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Maybe you’ve seen him at the UNC games cheering on the Tar Heels, or maybe you’ve seen him leading new students around campus during the summer as an Orientation Leader, or perhaps you’ve seen him performing at one of his shows. But one thing is for sure; you’ve probably seen or heard of Shelby native and Michael Thornburg, also known as Thornbro. But if not, rest assured that he is doing big things at UNC. As a Junior Political Science major and Education minor, Michael is involved in many student organizations and the local music community  to ensure he has a lasting impact on the Carolina community.  

HC: What organizations are you involved with on campus?

MT: Currently, I am a Carolina Fever director on the Special Events Committee and last spring I became a brother in Sigma Phi. I was also an Orientation Leader for two years. I also am really involved in the music scene here at UNC.

HC: How did you get started in rapping?

MT: Funny story. One of my best friends, Alex, and I were on vacation and we joked around talking about starting a rap group and we were going to call it Vineyard Rhymes. But I thought about it more and I wanted to give it a try and start writing raps. I first started writing raps around the time of senior year of high school.

HC: What inspired you?  

MT: I’ve always been more of a private person. I think at times I’m perceived as being extroverted, but when it comes to deeper issues, especially my life experiences, I’m not. Writing made me feel like I had a voice and so I kept on doing it.

HC: Where did the stage name Thornbro come from?

MT: Well Thornbro actually came from my Twitter name. On the same vacation I spoke about earlier, Alex and I were just thinking about Twitter names and since my last name is Thornburg, Thornbro fit. When I started rapping, the nickname carried over.

HC: Where do you hope to take your rap career?

MT: Realistically, it’s pretty hard to make a living just making music. Ideally, I’d like my rapping to be a full time thing and I’d like to do more shows outside of Chapel Hill. Last month, I performed at Cup of Flow in Southern Pines and I didn’t know most of the people there but I enjoyed the intimate setting and I’d love to continue doing shows like that one. At some point, hopefully this summer, a few other artists and I are planning to do a mini tour across NC.

HC: Why music?

MT: Helping others with my music drives me. Music was my way to connect when I was growing up, so I want to provide that to others.

HC: Do you remember your first performance? How was that experience?

MT: My first show was really good. It was at The Thrill here in Chapel Hill. I opened for a group called the Kings Dead (formerly known as the Dean’s List). I made it a goal to open for them by that time the following year and I did. It was a 10 minute set and my friends came out and they just got crazy. I probably looked super awkward because that was my first time on stage, but it was an incredible experience that still inspires me to this day.

HC: Who is your favorite artist/rapper? Why?

MT: Kanye West. I don’t agree with all of the decisions that he’s made in his life he’s a musical genius. He’s very creative and innovative. One reason I like Kanye is because no matter what, he’s always going to be himself. He’s an authentic artist and as a rapper striving to get to the point where I’m confident in who I am and what I believe, he’s very inspiring.

HC: What lasting legacy would you like to leave at UNC?

MT: I’ve always been involved on campus and I’ve always wanted to give back. I’d like to continue being involved and hone in on my commitment to UNC and the organizations I’m a part of now. My ideal goal is to continue to learn and grow from the people around me and be a positive influence.

Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.