Campus Celeb: Kelly Reiter ‘18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Kelly Reiter may be a first-year, but she’s already had a wealth of experiences — from singing in a professional choir when she was seven to walking shows in New York Fashion Week between the ages of 13-15. These days, Reiter has a few country songs that play on the radio in over 100 countries! Read on to find out more about this Jane of all trades.

Major: Biomedical Engineering

Hometown: Chapel Hill, N.C.

Go-to motivation song: “Lose Yourself” by Eminem

Quote to live by: “Lions don’t lose sleep over the opinions of a sheep.”

HC: What made you choose UNC?

KR: My father was a Morehead Scholar at UNC, and is now a distinguished professor here. His experience at UNC was absolutely amazing, and I always knew that if I went as well, I would have a similar experience. I was a Tar Heel born, and a Tar Heel bred. Carolina blue was in my blood!

HC: I know you’re only a first-year, but have any student groups caught your eye?

KR: I have been mostly focused on my studies and my extracurricular activities on the side, but a few groups have caught my attention. I am interested in the a capella group, boxing club, MMA club, and possibly a foreign language group.

HC: What was it like being on the catwalk at New York Fashion Week at 13 years old? That’s an opportunity some would kill for!

KR: Honestly, it was an amazing opportunity. I have never felt such a rush. I remember all of the people backstage running around, and everything being so hectic. Then, all of a sudden, it was our time to walk, and I stepped up on the runway (with my heart going eight miles a minute) and my feet started going without my brain coming with it! The immense amount of light from the cameras was astonishing. Nonstop clicks! I felt as if I was in a dream. As soon as I realized I wasn’t going to trip and fall on my face, I just relaxed and enjoyed every second of it. Walking New York Fashion Week was one of the best experiences I have ever had!

HC: Do you still model on the side or are you more focused on music now?

KR: I am primarily focused on school right now since it takes up most of my time. I do modeling and singing on the side as well. The extracurricular activity that I am most focused on is acting. Just a few days ago I got offered a lead role for a movie that films this summer in New York. I am actually reviewing the contract.

HC: How do you draw inspiration to write your songs?

KR: I draw a lot of inspiration from past experiences, and memories with friends or in past relationships. Sometimes if I cannot think of what to write about, or get stuck, I go people-watching. Just observing random people helps me come up with ideas about what to write about, and gives me inspiration.

HC: What would be your dream job?

KR: There is no job in this world that would compare to being an actress. I have a humongous passion for acting, and think about it every day. I miss being on set all the time, and I crave it when I can’t be. I always try to work hard at academics since the chance of actually making it are 1 in 100,000,000. Although that is true, I am more than willing to take that chance to be that 1 if I can.

HC: Who would you play you in a movie about your life?

KR: Hopefully, I would play me! If I couldn’t for some reason, I would love for Jennifer Lawrence or Meryl Streep to play me. They are both extremely talented women with so much passion for what they do. It would be an honor to have either of them portray my life.

Can’t get enough? You may catch this self-described “Energizer Bunny” training in the SRC or indulging in her love of food on Franklin Street. With her gorgeous mane and Hollywood smile, you can’t miss her!

Jaleesa Jones

Chapel Hill

Jaleesa Jones is a senior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She is a communication studies major with double minors in journalism and screenwriting. She is president and co-campus correspondent of the UNC chapter of Her Campus, a Collegiate Correspondent for USA TODAY and a member of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, Carolina Association of Black Journalists, National Association of Black Journalists and National Association of Hispanic Journalists. Jaleesa loves covering lifestyle, race, feminism and the arts. In her spare time, she enjoys confusing her roommate with alternating sessions of Juicy J and Taylor Swift, imagining her Ramen was pasta, and binge-watching movies - because TV series are so '90s. 
Emily Manning

Chapel Hill