This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Online school during a pandemic was definitely a trial for me. I found it hard to stay motivated and engaged with my classes. So, I am relieved (to say the least) about the semester’s end. At UNC, we’re getting a much longer break than normal, with classes ending before Thanksgiving and resuming in mid-January. Over the break, I intend to do something I have not had the opportunity to do in what seems like a long time — read for fun. Sure, I read over the semester (a lot), but I haven’t picked up a good fiction book since then. I’ve been making a list of books I’ve been excited to be able to read over the upcoming winter break. Here are the books!

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

My girlfriend recommended this book to me, and it seems like it’s right up my alley. Code Name Verity is a work of historical fiction about the relationship between two women during World War II. It’s also apparently a tear-jerker.

Circe by Madeline Miller

Another page-turner by the acclaimed Song of Achilles author Madeline Miller; Circe is a historical fiction novel about ancient Greece. My best friend was kind enough to lend me her copy over the break, and I’m super excited to read it.

The Queen’s Gambit by Walter Tevis

I binged this Netflix series in a single weekend, so obviously I have to read the book. The plot follows the life of an orphaned female chess prodigy from the 1950s through the 1960s. It deals with mature themes such as loss, addiction and gender.

Under Rose-Tinted Skies by Louise Gornall

I don’t think I’m alone in my weakness for a good young adult novel, even at age twenty — especially if the novel deals with teen mental illness, which is an important topic to de-stigmatize. The protagonist in this particular book deals with crippling agoraphobia.

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins

No, I haven’t read The Hunger Games prequel yet! I’ve read the original trilogy so many times, and I’m beyond excited to see how the prequel depicts the early days of Panem. I luckily haven’t even seen any spoilers, so everything I read will be brand-new for me.

I hope everyone has a relaxing winter break, even if it doesn’t look the same as it usually does. Please stay safe and follow CDC guidelines to ensure your health and the health of others. During this time, it’s important to find little things that remind us that life isn’t always chaotic and won’t be chaotic forever either. 

Karleigh Wallace

Chapel Hill '22

Karleigh Wallace is an aspiring writer who is a senior at UNC majoring in English and minoring in history and creative writing.