All Loved Up: A Valentine’s Day Playlist for Relationships at Any Stage

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Whether you’re in a new relationship or you’re high school sweethearts, sometimes music expresses what you just can’t get right on your own.  You probably won’t have a random hottie serenading you outside your window like in the classic scene from Say Anything, but maybe some of these songs could give your guy some inspiration.

A New Relationship
“Everything has Changed” – Taylor Swift

You might have never thought you would fall for your best friend, but then Cupid comes along and you see him in a whole new light. This song off of Taylor’s most recent album Red features British songbird Ed Sheeran and highlights what it’s like when you find yourself falling for someone you’d never have expected yourself to.

When You Just Can’t Stop Smiling
“Love on Top” – Beyoncé

This feel-good song just says everything about being in love especially if your relationship is still pretty new.  “Love on Top” just makes you want to smile.  The upbeat tempo and cheery lyrics make this the perfect song to listen to while you’re getting ready to go on your V-Day date.

Also: “Love Bug” – Jonas Brothers

Classic Love Song
“Can’t Help Falling in Love” – Elvis Presley

There probably isn’t a better classic love song than this.  From the countless covers (I’m looking at you Michael Bublé), to all the first dances at weddings, this song is sure to set the mood right.

Also: “Your Song” – Elton John

If You’re Not Always Confident
Little Things – One Direction

We all have those days when we aren’t feeling so good about ourselves. But just put this song on to remind yourself your guy loves you just the way you are.

Also: “Wanted” – Hunter Hayes

Just a Crush
“Enchanted” – Taylor Swift

You might sometimes catch yourself daydreaming about what it would be like if you ended up with that cute boy you met at a party last weekend.  No one describes that feeling better than Taylor Swift in Enchanted.

If You Don’t Always Get Along
“Na Na Na” – One Direction

If you have one of those relationships where it’s not always rainbows and butterflies, then this is the song for you.  You might fight sometimes, but you always end up realizing how much you love each other.

Also: “Stay Stay Stay” – Taylor Swift

Song for a Long Distance Relationship
“All My Loving” – The Beatles

You might not be able to be with your love on Valentine’s Day. So The Beatles have the perfect song for you.  This classic shows that no distance can keep love apart.

Also: “I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing” – Aerosmith

Throwback
“As Long As You Love Me” – Backstreet Boys

Justin Bieber released his own interpretation of this song this year, but nothing really compares to this 90’s hit.  This is the perfect song to blast in the car, your boyfriend might deny he knows the lyrics, but by the end of the song the two of you will be belting it out together!

Also: “Sometimes”  — Britney Spears

Your New Favorite
“Kiss Me” – Ed Sheeran

This song is guaranteed to give you butterflies.  You could call it the perfect cuddling song, make out song, or just your song, but Ed Sheeran’s with way words combined his smooth vocals are bound to give you chills.

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!