This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

That’s right, it’s back. The Bachelorette premiered on Tuesday, and we couldn’t be more excited for this drama-filled season. Here are all of Claire’s first impressions ranked from best to worst (well, technically, most of the first impressions, leaving out the unimportant ones), enjoy!

Tyler C.

(SPOILERS AHEAD) Though his time on this season was cut short, he tops the list for the best first impression. Tyler’s choice to drive up in a station wagon coupled with the adorable West Virginian accent made him a top contender (though I am a strong believer that pulling up in anything besides the limo is usually automatically cringe-worthy, this one was cute and sincere). Regardless of the drama that he created, I would’ve kept Tyler at least one more week! Nonetheless, Tyler C. gave the most heartwarming and least cringey first impression on Tuesday.

Jason

I loved Jason’s pregnancy skit. I thought it was the perfect balance of humor and sincerity seeing as he finished it with “I want to endure any labor of love for you and carry the weight of this relationship.” Jason definitely would’ve made me laugh if I were her, and his entrance paid homage to Claire’s entrance on Juan Pablo’s season. Overall, loved the concept and the execution.

Mike

An absolute king to say the least. He bought a pair of flip flops for her to wear at the end of the night for when her feet got tired. I usually hate when they give gifts for first impressions, but this gift was so thoughtful that I couldn’t help but say “awwwww” once he pulled them out. Ten out of ten made me smile, and his entrance felt really sincere.

Eazy

Claire’s feelings for Dale are my feelings for Eazy: Future! Husband! Material! The style, the humor, the ability to carry the conversation, everything about him made me think that the show should end with him as the winner. He’s a little lower on the list because his initial impression wasn’t super remarkable or memorable, but without a doubt, he carried the entirety of the first episode.

Blake Moynes

Blake Moynes knows how to keep it simple. Nothing unique at first, but then he pulls out the, “I’ve needed to tell you something, but I’ve gotta tell you inside.” Great work Blake, very strategic. He paved the way for her to gravitate towards him inside and have a reason to talk. 10/10 for strategy, 6/10 for ingenuity.

Ben

Being the first one to come out of the limo has to be nerve-racking, but Ben handled it with grace. Asking her to take a deep breath was so cute and refreshing, which I loved. Again, keeping it simple is definitely the way to go with first impressions. 

Riley

The attorney pickup line is cute in theory, but it fell a bit flat coming from Riley. To put it simply, his delivery was awkward. I’m not a fan of any sort of pickup lines, but I would let this one pass. Unlike Jason, the concept was great, but his execution was sub-par.

Joe

Another cheesy bit about his profession. It wasn’t the medical pun that made me feel weird about it, it was the plastic medical ID and stethoscope he wore for the entire night. He let it go on for way too long and should’ve dropped the badge off at the door. Overall, not my favorite but not painstakingly cringe-worthy either.

Ivan

Following very close behind the cheesy pickup lines is Ivan. His mother taught him the phrase “you are very beautiful” in her native language. I thought this idea was super sincere and sweet, which is why Ivan falls in my top 10.

Dale

Despite how the teaser trailer makes him seem, I liked Dale’s first impression. I didn’t think it was anything extraordinary, but it seemed like Claire must’ve seen something that we didn’t, considering she said it “felt like she just met her husband.” Maybe Dale has some tricks up his sleeves. We’ll just have to wait and see!

Chasen

It seems like the knight in shining armor bit is getting a little old. Overall, his first impression was nothing to rave about and he gives me major frat-boy energy, which automatically puts him lower on the list.

AJ

AJ’s entrance made me physically cringe. He started off strong by twirling her around but immediately went downhill after he said, “I am terrible at first impressions.” I think I had to look away when he squeezed her hands and she audibly went “ooh ow.” She eventually turned to the camera showed her finger was indented and cut by the strength of AJ’s grip. He should’ve quit while he was ahead and spared us all from the embarrassment.

Yosef

I only have one thing to say — Yosef seems like a scumbag. There’s not a lot to say about his first impression, but I would not be surprised if he becomes the villain of the season. Absolutely, 100% would’ve gotten rid of him night one. 

Zach J.

The only reason Zach’s not lower on the list is because I can appreciate that he made an effort to be funny. However, this effort was childish and immature, and Zach did not make me laugh. I can’t even begin to describe Zach’s gift for Claire without sounding like a child. Feel free to give that a Google.

Jay

Another failed attempt at humor. The only difference: Jay was too weird for my liking. Coming in with a straight jacket and not taking it off the entire night does not strike me as husband material, though I do commend Jay’s commitment.

Ed

The quarantine jokes should’ve been over before they even started. Bad idea, bad execution. My advice: just come out of the limo like everyone else. 

Kenny

I hated this man the second he got out of the limo. The dog shirt was painful to look at and made me want to turn off my TV forever. His hair and style choices definitely scream his title of “Boy Band Manager.” His first impression made me want to scream, “vote him off tonight.” 

Bennett

Everything about Bennett made me roll my eyes. I can’t even call this a subtle flex, it was just obnoxious. Again, pulling up in anything other than the limo is hard to execute well, especially when you’re just trying to flex your Rolls Royce. I despise the scarf and his arrogance, which, without a doubt, puts him at the bottom of my list.

While this season of The Bachelorette may be filming in a new location, the men certainly showed up with flair, attitude and ignorance to match the casts of previous seasons. Did you miss the first episode of The Bachelorette? Catch up and compare your first impression rankings to mine!

Grace Garner

Chapel Hill '23

English and Journalism double-major at UNC Chapel Hill just waiting to live out her dark academia aesthetic. https://www.linkedin.com/in/grace-garner-4244011a6/