Career

Advice For How to Push Through the End of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Summer break is only a few weeks away. We’re all stressed out and ready to be done, right? Here’s a few pieces of advice on how to make the end of this semester as stress-free as possible!

Create an Assignment/Test /Study Timeline

The best way I’ve found that keeps me not only on track but also not worried about when I get assignments done is by creating timelines/weekly planners. I use Notion to plan out my weeks, and you can find an article I wrote about how Notion saved my semester here. Every Sunday night I spent some time going through all my syllabuses (I have a master syllabus), and writing my assignments each day that I want to do them. Or, like for some of my classes with group projects, I’ve created a timeline for just that class and sent it to my teammates so we all know when we have to have things done. This helps with organization, planning out your week and making sure you know when you’re going to get things done and when. I don’t know about y’all, but I get stressed out when I have things due and I don’t know how I’m going to get it all done. This helps.

Make Sure to Get Enough Sleep & Hit Your Water Intake Goal

This is SO important. I know college is stressful and we all often stay up until the wee hours of the morning trying to cram assignments and papers in, but this is not healthy. You will feel more energized during the day and ready to do your assignments if you are getting enough sleep. This is where the planner can also come in handy. If you plan when you’re going to do assignments or study or whatever the case, you are able to know that you will be done with homework by 11 pm and can head to bed. I would recommend picking a time that you would like to consistently go to sleep and make sure you stick to it. IMHO, we should be getting at least 7 hours every night, especially during finals season. And make sure you’re drinking plenty of water! I know a gallon is a lot of water, so I say try to get at least half of that in every day. If you split up how you drink it, it helps, like making sure you have a bottle down by noon, another by 5, and another before bed!

Plan For Some ‘Me Time’

You CANNOT spend the next two weeks not making time for yourself and constantly stressing over classes. It’s unhealthy, and at some point, we have to realize that schoolwork should not be making your mental health horrible. It’s not worth it. So again, go back into that timeline schedule and plan some Me time! This could look like reading your favorite book before bed, watching an episode of your favorite show, grabbing lunch with friends or even cleaning up your space! Anything that doesn’t involve you stressing over schoolwork. And to help with that stress you might feel because you’re thinking about how you have homework done, make sure you plan it into your day. Tell yourself you DESERVE to have some stress-free time to yourself!

Exercise!! Even For Just 30 Minutes

Just like you see all over, at least 30 minutes of exercise per day is so good for you, even if that 30 minutes is just a walk around the neighborhood. Since recently getting back into the gym, I have seen so many benefits. I feel more focused and I have more energy during the day, my self-image is more positive and I’ve learned to enjoy doing it so much! Exercising is such a good way not only to strengthen your body, but it has so many mental health and mind benefits, not to mention it can take your mind off the school work for a bit. If you don’t want to go to the gym or take a walk, there are some great people who teach yoga, HIIT or strengthening workouts on YouTube that I’ve learned to love doing, especially with a friend!

Think About How Little Time You Have Left

Girl, this is the end of the semester. I know it’s stressful. I know you want it to be over. But after you have your weeks planned out and feel that sense of organized chaos, you can sit back and realize it’s ONLY a few weeks! Only a week’s worth of classes and a few finals and you’re literally done, and it’s going to fly by quicker than you think. Believe in yourself and know that once summer break hits, you may miss the hectic stress of being in college (if only a tiny bit) You CAN make it through the rest of this semester. Just remember to plan it out, sleep, get your water intake, exercise and take some time for yourself. You can do it!

Hopefully, these tips can help you manage the rest of the semester as we look towards summer!

Graci Daby

Chapel Hill '22

Graci is a junior at UNC-Chapel Hill studying advertising and public relations. She has passions for digital art and content creating, writing and poetry, fashion, iced coffee, and pop culture.