8 Tips on How To Black Friday Shop Til You Drop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

I love shopping. I don’t do it all the time, but when I do, it’s always a good time — and what better time to have a good shopping trip than Black Friday? If the deals don’t pull you in, then maybe the thrill and fun of staying up all night might (at least it does for me). Therefore, if you’re like me and more than ready for Black Friday, then here are eight tips for you to shop ’til you drop on this most fun shopping day of the year. 

1. Drink lots (and lots) of coffee.

You’re going to be tired, and I mean tired. Between all the driving, the crowds and the actual shopping part, I would like to believe that everyone is more than entitled to a nice late night cup of joe to make it out without falling asleep in a store. Plus, it’s still basically Thanksgiving, so treat yourself!

2. Dress to (not) impress.

It’s going to be late. It’s going to be packed. And between all of the craziness, I don’t really know that it’s all that worth it to dress up super nice. I think Black Friday shopping, and all of the things that come with it, make it more than acceptable to wear the comfiest things you own. Either way, dress in whatever fashion makes you feel the best because you’re going to be in it pretty much all night.

3. Have a plan of attack.

Know where you’re going to go, how you’re going to get there and everything in between. The more you know about what you’re going to do, the easier it’ll be to actually do it the night of Black Friday. It’ll also make you feel better about driving through all that traffic (and we all know how we probably feel about traffic).

4. Know where the deals are.

Look online; look in the newspaper; look wherever, and figure out where those deals are! This goes along with that whole “plan of attack” thing, but if you know where you’re going and what sort of sales and deals they have, things will run a whole lot smoother.

5. Prepare for a long night.

By long night, I mean a long night. As in, last year, I stayed out from 9pm to 9am the next morning — OK, so I’ll admit that’s a pretty extreme case, but still. It’s going to be long, and odds are, you’re going to get tired (did someone say coffee???).

6. Dress WARM.

It’s also almost winter, so please remember to dress warmly. It’s going to be cold, cold, cold (with a dash of cold), especially given that you’re going to be out at night — you know, that time when it’s even colder than it already usually is.

7. Save that money.

Save money before you go, and save money while you go. Black Friday is all about the deals, in which you need money to partake. You should also be finding the best of the best deals, so you should be able to save money too. It’s really just the best of both worlds.

8. Have fun.

I’ve always loved Black Friday, and not just because of the shopping. I love shopping, but I also love hanging out with friends, shopping together, buying coffee, having fun staying up late and everything in between. Don’t forget to have fun while you’re shopping ’til you’re dropping.

How are you spending your Black Friday?

Ashley Oldham

Chapel Hill '20

Ashley Oldham is a senior English and Comparative Literature and Sociology double major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. In her free time she enjoys drinking way too much coffee, attempting to write the next great American novel, and going on spontaneous road trips, all in the name of procrastinating on whatever schoolwork she currently has to do. To see what she's doing next (and get bombarded with cat pictures) follow her on Instagram @ashleyyerinno.