8 Things You Have to do this Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year!” (after finals, that is). Going home for Christmas break is exciting and such a relieving time of the year. No school work for an entire month and your biggest concern is what Christmas treats to make or what Netflix series you’re going to binge on for an entire month. Here’s a quick guide of things that make Christmas break complete:

For our readers who celebrate Christmas:

1.     Go somewhere to see Christmas lights. Not just your typical Christmas lights that your neighbor put in the window somewhere like McAdenville where Christmas lights are everywhere. This will definitely put you in the holiday spirit!

2.     Watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas (both the animated and Jim Carrey version). These movies are my personal favorite during the holiday season and always give me a laugh no matter how many times I’ve seen them.

3.     Wake up before it’s light outside on Christmas morning. This always brings such an exciting and youthful atmosphere on Christmas morning. As we grow up, we forget little things like this that used to fill us with such joy when we were kids. Wake up, run downstairs, and rip apart the wrapping paper to see what Santa brought you.

Other festive ideas:

4.     Sleep, sleep, binge on Netflix did I mention sleep? Chances are, this semester was rough and by the time you get home for break, you’re exhausted and your sleeping habits are nonexistent. Enjoy the time off and relax!! You deserve it.

5.     Make holiday treats. Cookies, cakes, pastries, and basically anything that tastes like cinnamon or peppermint. Holiday treats are always yummy and a great treat if you’re having people over.

6.     Have an ugly Christmas sweater party. Get all of your best friends together, raid your mom (even grandma’s closet) for a sweater circa 1990, and have a party to honor these hideous, festive sweaters. These are becoming super popular around the holidays, and with good reason:

7.     Celebrate New Years. Christmas and New Years are my favorite holidays because they are only a week apart, so there’s so much celebrating to do. Get together with your best friends and bring in 2015 the right (and safe!) way. Shoot off fireworks, watch the ball drop, and cheers to a new year and new beginnings.

8.     Last but most importantly — be thankful. During this hectic time of the year, we often forget how lucky we are; tell your friends, families, and significant others how much they mean to you this holiday season. Keep in mind that Christmas means much more than receiving gifts. ‘Tis the season!!

Sophomore at UNC