This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

I recently brought my cat from home to live with me at my apartment a college. Though there’s a lot of considerations to having a pet at college, it’s been one of the best decisions I’ve made recently! Although, I’ve had to work things out with my roommates, make sure I have a schedule that lets me take care of her, and make sure I have all the things she needs, having a pet with you at school is awesome in a lot of ways.

1. Someone is always excited to see you when you get home, even if they just want to be fed

2. You have an endless supply of cuddles.

3. Pets can be a bonding point with new roommates or old roommates that love pets.

4. Looking after your pets can get you into a routine easily.

5. You have a built-in excuse to leave social things early – kitty’s got to eat!

6. Having pets around is great for your mood and stress levels.

7. You don’t need a vacuum cleaner – that’s what pets are for.

8. It’s super rewarding to be around the unconditional love that our pets can have for us.

Having a pet at college is a hard decision to make, and it’s definitely not for everyone. College students have really busy schedules, housing can be complicated, and roommates can’t always accommodate pets, but it can be a really great experience to share your space and life at college with your precious fur child.

Isabel Uzsoy

Chapel Hill

Isabel is a junior at UNC majoring in computer science and English literature. She enjoys reading, coffee, and good times with good friends.