jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Ways to Make Yourself Feel Better When You’re Having a Bad Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Whether you just flunked that exam or had a relationship end, we all have our bad days. It is hard to remember to take time for yourself during hard times in the midst of school. Here are 7 ways to make yourself feel better during those tough days!

1. Eat comfort food 

There is nothing better than curling up with a bowl of ice cream or a whole cheese pizza after a particularly crappy day. Take a minute to ditch whatever healthy kick you might be on and indulge in whatever you want; you deserve it!

2. Go on a walk

Whenever I go home, my dad and I like to take our dog for a walk through a cool trail near our house. It’s so nice to get out of the house and remember how beautiful nature is. Bonus points if you have a furry friend to take with you!

3. Ditch your phone

In the world of social media, everyone displays the highlights from their life on their Snapchat stories and Instagram. When you’re already feeling down, seeing how great everyone else seems to be doing doesn’t help at all. Take a break from your phone for a couple of hours and focus on yourself.

4. Work out

If you are feeling particularly angry, working out can be a great release. It feels so good to put negative energy into something productive like exercise, which will help you feel better in the long run.

5. Have a movie night

Movies can be a great two hour escape from reality during bad days. Whether you chose to watch John Tucker Must Die or Girls Trip, you can’t go wrong.

6. Plan a weekend getaway

Sometimes changing your scenery is the best way to fight off a bad mood. Planning a cool mountain getaway or even just a trip home to enjoy your parents’ cooking can give you a whole new perspective.

7. Volunteer

It’s easy to get caught up in your own world while you are away at school. Your time seems to be divided between homework and spending time with friends. One easy way to change it up is to volunteer at a new organization in which you’re interested. Volunteering is a great way to help others and remember all the reasons you have to be thankful.

No matter what is going on in your life, always remember to keep your head up and not let the bad days overwhelm the good ones.

Feel free to share any way that you have to make yourself feel better when you’ve had a bad day!