7 Movies and 1 Album to Look Forward to in 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

There were a lot of great movie releases in 2012 – The Avengers, Les Mis, The Dark Knight Rises and The Amazing Spider-Man among them.  However, 2013 looks just as promising…take a look!

Oz the Great and Powerful – March 8.  Is there anyone who isn’t in love with Wicked?  Anyone?  No?  I didn’t think so.  How can we resist this latest adaptation, starring James Franco as a circus magician and Mila Kunis as one of the three witches?  It seems much more Alice in Wonderland than political satire, so hopefully the munchkins won’t be as disturbing as I remember.  There’s only one way to find out!

The Host – March 29.  Stephenie Meyer must be a very happy lady.  This book adaptation stars Irish actress Saoirse Ronan, who was nominated for an Academy Award for Atonement.  Since the book wasn’t fantastic, I’m curious to see whether her acting can prevent another Twilight-induced coma.  If not for the plot, see the movie for the two male leads.  You’ll thank me later.

The Great Gatsby – May 10.  Some of us may not have appreciated F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel in high school English class, but this movie sounds fun – think of the opulent costumes and design!  We can all appreciate the extravagant style of the rich in the 1920s.  It’s led by famed director Baz Luhrmann (remember his 1996 version of Romeo and Juliet?) and sports an A-list cast, including Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, and supermodel/newcomer Gemma Ward. 

Man of Steel – June 14.  Is it a bird?  Is it a plane?  No, it’s Henry Cavill in yet another Superman movie!  But no worries, Amy Adams is playing the part of Clark Kent’s love interest, Lois Lane.  Maybe she’ll sing and dance like in Enchanted.

White House Down – June 28.  A Secret Service agent must save the president after the White House is taken over by rebels.  This could go two ways: really good, or really, really bad.  Either way, Channing Tatum is in it.  Yeah, you heard me.

Thor: The Dark World – Nov. 8.  Set after the most recent Avengers movie, Natalie Portman joins Chris Hemsworth as he fights to save the world – presumably shirtless – from an ancient race of Dark Elves.  I’m sure he’ll get lots of skin-time.

Ender’s Game – Nov. 14.  Have you read this?  It’s the new The Hunger Games, I’m told, but written by Orson Scott Card.  A futuristic setting, an endangered humankind, violence and young adults who inevitably save their world?  We’ll have to see if this adaptation is just as accurate, and if all goes well, we’ll be sure to find its four sequels in the future.

Artpop – Spring.  Lady Gaga’s fourth album is going to be released in two albums, rumored to be in the spring and summer.  Should we be excited or scared, little monsters?

Sarah Ang

Chapel Hill

Sarah Ang is a junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill studying journalism and English. She writes about the arts at The Daily Tar Heel, reads too much, and strives to remember that life isn’t as complicated as we make it out to be.
Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!