6 Books to Read Now!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

It seems to me that every new movie that premieres nowadays was originally a novel and there are hardly any original ideas in theaters (ok, maybe I exaggerate, but still). Think about the flicks that came out this past year that were books first: The Lucky One, Perks of Being a Wallflower, Atlas Shrugged, Anna Karenina, Breaking Dawn, Life of Pi, The Hobbit, and The Lorax (ok, kind of a stretch), and these are only a few!

Feel free to disagree, but I am of the general opinion that the book is always better, not only because it is usually way more detailed and has better character development (a positive effect of not being constrained to 120 minutes) but you often get a unique point of view that can’t be displayed on film. And no, I don’t believe voiceovers adequately portray first-person point of view. Sorry, English major here.

So, if you’re like me and want to read first and then justifiably judge every piece of the novel that went missing from the page-to-screen transition, here’s a list of books to read before their movie counterparts are released:

1. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Great Gatsby is a classic and no doubt Baz Luhrman’s movie will be a beautiful spectacle. But it will also be just that, a spectacle. Buy the book, get the facts, and allow yourself to absorb this literary masterpiece as just that. It would be shame to let your first reading impression be ruined by the story one director chose to tell (though I do think the flick looks wonderful). Plus, then you can spend the whole movie swooning over Leo DiCaprio and all of the gorgeous flapper dresses.

You ONLY have until: MAY 10, 2013!!!!!

2. Percy Jackson: The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan 

READ IT READ IT READ IT NOW. Or, them, really. There are five Percy Jackson novels and yes, they’re meant for middle schoolers but they are still AWESOME. Percy Jackson is a child of the Gods and the book follows his discovery of his super-human abilities and the world he really comes from. In the books you learn a lot more about Camp Half-blood (where the demi-god children reside) and get much more Greek mythology than the first movie taught us, which I thought that was one of the coolest parts of the series.

You have until: August 16, 2013

3. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

The Mortal Instruments Series is wonderful. I devoured the first book and am still on board with book six (I know). The story follows a teenager named Clary who discovers that she is part of an elite race of demon hunters (I know). However, I found myself very invested in the main characters, which was a nice surprise since I was just looking for a light beach read. Also, the love-interest character, Jace, is super-mega-foxy-awesome-hot and I am as on board with the casting of Jamie Campbell Bower as I wish I were (the whole engagement to Bonnie Wright thing—weird) so please read and experience his sexiness before the movie premieres.

You have until: August 23, 2013

4. World War Z by Max Brooks

This novel is a (kind of) sequel to The Zombie Survival Guide. Set in a post-apocalyptic world riddle with, you guessed it, zombies, this novel is different from many others. Instead of one main storyline, the book is comprised of individual accounts of those who remain human. The movie stars Brad Pitt (do we love or hate him? I can never decide) and the storyline has been changed, of course. However, the book isn’t famous for nothing, so read up.

You have until: June 21, 2013

5. Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card

Another futuristic novel, this one follows a young boy, Ender Wiggin, and his time spent at Battle School, a facility dedicated to training fleet commanders to protect the Earth from the invasive species known as Buggers. This novel is such a hit that not only was it re-released in 1991, but there are currently 12 novels, 12 short stories and 47 comic books making up what is known as the Ender’s Game Series.

You have until: November 1, 2013

6. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

As a self-proclaimed Hunger Games nerd I will be the first to tell you that if you’ve only seen the movie of THG, you’re doing yourself a disservice. The movie does not even come close to the awesomeness that lies within the pages of Suzanne Collins’ novel The Hunger Games. If you haven’t read the first, buy it, it will take you approximately one night to read (seriously, I woke up at 4am to my roommate freaking out about Peeta. Hi Ash!). Then, go out and buy the sequel Catching Fire and join the ranks of us fans who complain about the minute aspects that the director didn’t include.

You have until: November 22, 2013

So, there you have it folks. Now get yourself over to Fly Leaf (or the Public Library) and start reading!

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!