This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Think of this as your ‘Best New Artists’ playlist, but hyper-focused on Black women who deserve the recognition. These five young women produce everything from yell-singing-in-your-car bangers to low-key, late-night bedroom chill vibes. To top it off, they tap into their divine feminity to make all of us listening feel empowered, sexy and ready to dance. 

UMI

Tierra Umi Wilson, better known as UMI, is a 21-year-old neo-soul and R&B artist from Seattle. Her music features a gentle, floating voice and rhythm that made me feel relaxed when I was first listening. UMI’s songs explore insecurities, race, sexual orientation, human connection and more that allow us, as listeners, to be brought into her world and healed by her voice. 

Some favorites: “Introspection”, “Down to Earth” and “Play Too Much” featuring Kyle Dion & DUCKWORTH.

Her Instagram sits at 388k followers and her handle is @whoisumi.

KIRBY

KIRBY is a self-proclaimed ‘song therapist’ from Mississippi who heals people with her lyrics, and she’s right. Her discography is unmatched as she has written songs for Jennifer Lopez, Beyoncé and Ariana Grande. She also wrote the pop hit “FourFiveSeconds” performed by Rihanna, Kanye West and Paul McCartney. With this writing ability, it seems almost unethical that her solo career hasn’t taken off exponentially. Her beautiful soprano notes truly heal and relax I HIGHLY encourage everyone to give her a listen.

Some Favorites: “Superpower” featuring D Smoke, “Loved by You” and “Kool Aid.”

You can find KIRBY on Instagram @singkirbysing with 115k followers.

Dizzy Fae

Dizzy Fae is a 20-year-old introspective singer and dancer who owns her queerness, feminity and confidence in all of her music. Fae debuted on Lizzo’s sold-out tour (you go, girl!) in 2018 and her music reflected the same kind of badassery that Lizzo’s music encompasses. Despite this, her monthly Spotify listeners sits just under 70,000 — she deserves much more. Her music just simply makes you feel good. 

Some Favorites: “I’m Good”, “Lifestyle” and “Indica.”

Her Instagram is @dizzyfae and she has 66.7k followers (although that might be due to the lack of content, her music still slaps).

Pip Millett

Pip Millett is a rising 22-year-old neo-soul artist from Manchester, England who specializes in smooth yet catchy R&B hits. Millett’s music spotlights her experiences with love, heartache and her relationships with her family. Her sound is extremely versatile: “Deeper Dark” has a sweet, vibey, sunset-listening vibe yet “Selfish” is a smooth and heavy exploration of racial injustice. You’ll regret not checking her out. 

Some Favorites: “Make Me Cry”, “Selfish” featuring Eric the Architect, “Start of the End” and “Deeper Dark.”

Her Instagram is @pipmillett and she sits at 35.8k followers (give this woman some love!).

NAO

Nao Jessica Joshua is a ‘wonky funk’ singer, songwriter and record producer from London, England. Despite her extensive discography coupled with awards and a GRAMMY nomination, I am shocked this woman is not plastered across the media headlines in the U.S. Her versatile and beautiful voice combined with the catchy rhythms and the make-you-wanna-dance beats in songs like “If You Ever” and “Antidote” is unmatched. I’ve listened to “If You Ever” around 50 times by now. The way her music makes me want to dance is indescribable —  you have to listen. 

Some favorites: “Antidote” featuring Adekunle Gold, “If you Ever” featuring 6lack and “Another Lifetime.”

Her Instagram is @this_nao and she has 230k. If I could follow her a million times, I would.

All five of these artists deserve more recognition and are amazing, but there are many black creators and artists out there who are not getting the exposure they deserve. The music industry thrives off of Black art and often producers and record labels make a profit off of black artists who are being exploited for their talent. Be sure to go out of your way to support black art, black creators and black music! 

Graci Daby

Chapel Hill '22

Graci is a junior at UNC-Chapel Hill studying advertising and public relations. She has passions for digital art and content creating, writing and poetry, fashion, iced coffee, and pop culture.