yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

5 Throwback Halloween Movies to Watch this Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

It’s officially October, and y’all know what that means? IT’S TRICK-OR-TREAT SEASON! With Halloween just around the corner, people are planning their costumes, carving their pumpkins and visiting corn mazes, but what would the season be without the Halloween movies from our childhood?

1. Hocus Pocus (1993)

Of course, the crown jewel of all throwback Halloween movies is Hocus Pocus! Watching the Sanderson Sisters make their return to Salem, where they cause plenty of wicked mischief, is the best way to get into the Halloween spirit. Although the movie came out in the early 90s, it has withstood the test of time and continues to be a top movie for the season. If you’re going to watch any Halloween movie this October, it MUST be this one, and make sure to chant along with Winnie: “double, double, toil and trouble, fire burn and cauldron bubble!”

2. Halloweentown (1998)

Anybody else wish their grandma would one day reveal you’re a witch and then whisk you off to Halloweentown? While the first movie is by FAR the best one, especially before Kimberly J. Brown was swapped out for Sara Paxton, all four movies are definitely worth a watch or two. It’s also rumored that Marnie and Kal (from Halloweentown II: Kalabar’s Revenge) are dating IRL, so if there’s any time to binge watch them all it’s now!

3. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

*Bows down to Tim Burton’s genius.* THIS. MOVIE. What’s better than Halloween?! Halloween PLUS Christmas!! If you don’t like this movie, we can’t hang. This is a Halloween classic, and it’s an annual tradition in my house. It’s the right amount of spooky and charming, and the music is fantastic. It’s a fun, entertaining watch for a night in with friends, where you can sing-along to “This is Halloween!”

4. The Haunted Mansion (2003)

Eddie Murphy. Enough said. Seriously though, how could you go wrong with this movie? It kinda terrified me as a child and would honestly still give me a few scares now, years later, but it’s just too good not to watch. With Eddie Murphy’s endless jokes, the sweet backstory and the hilarious, singing busts, The Haunted Mansion is a necessity for your Halloween prep list.  

5. The Babadook (2014)

Okay, there needed to be at least one actually scary movie on this list, and this Australian horror film definitely fits the bill. If you’re like me, then you like to add a few horror movies to your Halloween movie list (although I actually like them year round). The movie isn’t actually related to Halloween; it’s about an evil presence that torments a mother and son, and it’s downright terrifying. Don’t believe me? The director of The Exorcist called it the most terrifying movie he’d ever seen. Still don’t believe me? Watch it on Netflix and find out for yourself!

Say what you want, but Halloween is the BEST holiday and its movies are the BEST holiday movies (don’t @ me, Christmas fanatics). Cuddle up in your coziest blanket, bring out your pumpkin spice lattes, pop some Pillsbury Halloween cookies in the oven and enjoy some of the best Halloween movies our childhood has to offer!

What’s your favorite throwback Halloween movie?

Emmy Barcelona

Chapel Hill '19

A senior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Emmy is majoring in English and Psychology.