5 Reasons to Love the Huxtable Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

If there’s one thing I truly believe it’s that any and everyone that has ever watched “The Cosby Show” has, at some point in their life, wanted to be a part of the Huxtable family. Cliff and Claire Huxtable were smart, funny, kind and loved their family wholeheartedly. Now, while I could give a slew of reasons to love the Huxtables, these are my top five!

5. Cliff’s sweaters

As we all know, Cliff was a doctor. He was also a doctor that wore some highly interesting sweaters. One of my favorite things about the show was seeing what sweater Cliff would be wearing because, while they were tacky, he loved them so much. In fact, one of the few times Cliff intentionally left his home without one of his prized sweaters on was when he wanted to buy a car, but wanted to get a nice deal; however, when someone saw him, they commented on his missing sweater (it’s around the 4:00 mark).

4. The sibling bickering

Sandra, Denise, Theo, Vanessa and Rudy were a close group of siblings. They loved one another and had many laughs together. Remember the Gordon Gartrelle incident? Theo bought a $95 shirt Cliff made him promptly return, sparking Denise to volunteer to make her little brother a replica Gordon Gartrelle. Even though she knew she was completely failing at making the shirt, she continued in the hope that, somehow, it would miraculously get better. Needless to say, Theo was not pleased with the ending result.

3. The Grandparents’ anniversary songs

The Huxtables were all about making Cliff’s parents, Anna and Russell, feel loved on their wedding anniversary. All of the kids would participate, and you could tell they really wanted to make their grandparents happy with their performance. They were always energetic and into the song. It was exciting for them every year to come up with something new and fresh to present to their loving grandparents on yet another successful year of marriage.

2. Cliff tap dancing

Cliff Huxtable tap dancing is, by far, one of my favorite episodes of “The Cosby Show.” The episode involves Cliff taking his youngest daughter, Rudy, to a tap dancing lesson. When Rudy and her teacher leave the room, Cliff puts on some shoes and does a little dancing. It only gets better when the head teacher walks in and challenges Cliff to a tap dancing duel! Cliff gets tired somewhere in there though and ends up dragging his feet along the ground and making noise with a chair instead of actually tapping.

1. Life lessons by Cliff and Claire

One of my favorite quotes is “Be grateful for what you have. Work for what you want.” Cliff and Claire were well-known for teaching their children to go out into the world and work hard  for their futures. They didn’t want their children to get too comfortable just because the family had money, which was why Cliff made Theo return the $95 Gordon Gartrelle shirt. Cliff even told Vanessa that he and Claire were the ones that had money, not Vanessa. But, the one life lesson that stands out best, for me, is when the parents decide to teach Theo about life in the real world. Of course while Theo is gone one night Cliff and Claire decide to clean everything out of his room so they can simulate a real world experience for him, including buying an apartment, buying furniture, getting a job and having to eat on a day to day basis.

All seasons of The Cosby Show can be seen on Hulu Plus with a paid membership! Happy (re)watching!

Image Sources:

http://www.units.muohio.edu/psybersite/primetime/cosby.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-jfQLkfyDRyU/Tu4crHCD8RI/AAAAAAAAAhc/mNr13Vi_AFM/s1600/cosbyfireworks.png

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lx26ed0K201r04nuho1_500.jpg

http://trakt.us/images/episodes/632-6-19-218.jpg

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!