5 Exam Cram Desserts to Get You Through Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Yep, that’s right; exams start next week and Her Campus is here to ease the pain — with sugar! Here are five sweet treats for five different occasions to help you out with whatever finals week happens to throw at you.

Occasion #1: A study break at the library

Bake these walnuts one night this week and save them as a snack for when you have one of those long days studying at Davis Library. Instead of munching them mindlessly, use them as a reward for all of your hard work!

Cinnamon Vanilla Walnuts
Ingredients:

• 1 egg white
  • 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/3 cup of rapadura, sucanat, maple sugar, or palm/coconut sugar
  • 2 1/2 cups of walnuts

Recipe:

1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees with rack in the center of the oven. Lightly coat a cookie sheet with butter, or cover with parchment paper.
  2. Lightly beat the egg white with a whisk. Add cinnamon, vanilla, salt and sugar. Stir in walnuts and coat them well.
  3. Remove the walnuts with a spoon (allowing extra coating to drip out), and place on the cookie sheet. Spread out walnuts on the cookie sheet so that they aren’t touching. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
  4. Remove from the oven and cool for 20 minutes. Serve or store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.

Occasion #2: A study group meeting at your place

Have you volunteered to host an exam study party at your place? Fry up some of these dessert wontons for your guests! They are a fairly quick and easy snack to make (oh and did I mention that they are made with nutella, too?). Suddenly, finals doesn’t seem all so bad.

Strawberry and Nutella Wontons

Ingredients:

• 1 package wonton wraps
  • Fresh strawberries cut into small slices
  • Nutella
  • Oil for frying

Recipe:

1. Heat up the oil.
  2. Place a small dollop of Nutella and a strawberry slice onto the center of the wonton.
  3. Moisten the edge of the wonton wrap and fold wonton in half over the filling.
  4. Press the sides together and pinch to curve the edges.
  5. Fry treats in about a half inch of cooking oil until lightly golden. Best when served warm and fresh.

Occasion #3: Before (or after) a long day of studying

These pseudo-dessert pancakes are just what you need to power through a day of studying (and just having one will fill you up). Feel free to try out different toppings to satisfy your sweet tooth.

Oatmeal Pancakes
Ingredients (for one pancake):

• 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter or almond butter
  • 1 teaspoon agave nectar

Recipe:

1. Heat a small pan or griddle over medium high heat.  
  2. Beat the egg, oats, vanilla and cinnamon in a small bowl.
  3. Pour mixture into pan, making sure it spreads out into pancake shape and cook for 2-3 minutes.
  4. Flip and cook for 2 minutes more.
  5. Serve pancakes with peanut butter or almond butter and maple syrup.

Occasion #4: When you’re craving a night out…

Is that last final what’s preventing you from enjoying the weekend? Have no fear, coconut rum is here…in a fruity dessert! Enjoy these with your roommates as finals week starting coming to an end —you deserve it!

Coconut Rum Bananas

Ingredients:

• 2 ripe bananas, peeled
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
  • Coconut rum to taste (begin by adding 1-2 teaspoons at a time)

Recipe:

1. Place butter into skillet over low to medium heat. Cut bananas in half length-wise. Place banana halves into skillet on top of melting butter. Sprinkle top of banana with brown sugar and cook until butter and brown sugar have caramelized on the banana (about two minutes). Remove bananas from heat.
  2. Whip whipping cream with granulated sugar until medium peaks form. Gradually add coconut rum until flavored to your preference.
  3. Place banana slices in serving bowl and drizzle with caramel sauce. Top with coconut rum cream. Eat immediately.

Occasion #5: After your last exam and just in time for Cinco de Mayo!

Brace yourself. This recipe is longer than the others and most fitting for when you finish all of your exams. Nevertheless, it’s delicious and perfect for the upcoming Cinco de Mayo holiday.

Partida Blanco T
equila Cupcake
Ingredients (for 12 cupcakes):
Cake

• 3/4 stick butter, melted & cooled
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup Partida Blanco tequila
  • 1 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • Zests of 2 limes

Cream cheese frosting

• 1 teaspoon Partida Blanco Tequila
  • 1/2 stick butter, softened
  • 1 package cream cheese, softened
  • 3 cups powdered sugar

Compote

• 1 large container strawberries, stems removed and chopped
  • 1/4 cup seedless cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons Partida Tequila
  • One Lime, juiced
  • 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt

Recipe:

1. For the strawberry salsa, combine all ingredients in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.  Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
  2. For the cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  3. Beat eggs until well mixed, then add butter, cream, tequila & salt.  Mix until combined
  4. Sift together flour, sugar and baking powder.  Add to wet mixture and stir until smooth.
  5. Divide amongst 12 cupcake tins and bake for 16-18 minutes, or until the tops just spring back when touched.
  6. For the cream cheese frosting, beat together tequila, softened butter and cream cheese on high speed until light and fluffy.
  7. Add powdered sugar 1/2 a cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Once all sugar is added, beat for an additional 3 minutes to incorporate air.
  8. To assemble: strain salsa, reserving liquid.  Using a pastry brush, brush the top of each cupcake with the liquid. Frost cupcakes with the cream cheese & tequila icing.  Using a teaspoon, scoop out an indentation in the middle of each cupcake. Place a heaping spoonful of the strawberry salsa in each indentation.
  9. Garnish with a sliver or lime!

All of these recipes and more can be found at The Luxury Spot. Good luck on exams everyone; hang in there and bon appétit!

Citations:
Walnuts (photo): Theluxuryspot.com, http://www.theluxuryspot.com/2011/03/15/yum-alert-cinnamon-vanilla-walnuts/
Wontons (photo): Theluxuryspot.com, http://www.theluxuryspot.com/2011/03/23/yum-alert-strawbetty-nutella-wontons/
Pancakes (photo): Theluxuryspot.com, http://www.theluxuryspot.com/2011/02/25/yum-alert-oatmeal-pancakes/
Bananas (photo): Theluxuryspot.com, http://www.theluxuryspot.com/2011/02/09/yum-alert-cocount-rum-bananas/
Cupcakes (photo): Theluxuryspot.com, http://www.theluxuryspot.com/2011/02/22/yum-alert-partida-blanco-tequila-cupcake/

Sophomore, PR major at UNC