5 Creative Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

1. An ’80s Icon

The ’80s provided a slew of Brat Pack films which contain an endless number of costume possibilities including: Sloan from Ferris Buehler’s Day Off, Molly Ringwald from any number of films (The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink), or maybe Baby from Dirty Dancing. All you need is a trip to Good Will for some legwarmers, a crazy sweater, and a bowler.

2. A (Funny) Political Reference

Go beyond Michelle Obama or Ann Romney- Show your friends how witty and politically aware you are by dressing as a giant binder (with yourself placed neatly inside) or the classic Texts from Hillary-a blazer, a pair of sunglasses, and blackberry make the costume complete.

3. The Fab Five

Display some serious girl power by getting a group together to represent the 2012 U.S. Olympic Women’s gymnastic team. All you’ll need is a tracksuit, gold medal, small bouquet of flowers, and four good friends!

4. A Not-So-Toddler In Tiara

Emulate every girl’s idol- Honey Boo Boo- for Halloween this year. You could go as Alana herself or any of TLC’s overly exploited young beauty queens.Just get yourself a tutu, tiara, and slather on the make-up (don’t forget fake teeth!) Alana’s signature Go Go juice also adds a nice touch.

5. Destroyed Duke Fan

The most horrifying costume of them all: Duke fan. Make yourself a tee, Duke spelled “Dook” is always a winner, with streams of mascara pouring down your face will be sure to get a lot of cheers from your fellow Tar Heels.

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!