Summer Sparklers Fireworks Bonfire
Summer Sparklers Fireworks Bonfire
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

5 Albums That Will Get You Excited For Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Summer is concert season, and hopefully, it still is in 2020.

Some of my fondest memories are of buying lawn tickets to country shows and sitting with friends on crappy chairs.  Good thing we still have Spotify premium and aux cords, if this isn’t possible.

Music, in my experience, is a different kind of medicine, especially in these stressful times. Even if we are stuck inside or just have our car radios, give a listen to these albums below.

Fine Line by Harry Styles

Styles’ first album was good, but he stepped it the heck up for Fine Line. This album has the same feeling as those old rock n’ roll artists your parents would play in front of the campfire. It’s very much that vibe, but with more pop-rock vibes.

Highlighted Songs: “Sunflower Vol. 6,” “Watermelon Sugar” and “She”

Anonymous by blackbear

This album is something you would listen to in a car on a summer night with your friends on your way to McDonald’s. Maybe after a fight with your partner, or when you’re just in a weird, sad mood. I personally listen to this album during any mood, at least one song daily. I’m not sure why he capitalized all the song names, but I dig it.

Highlighted Songs: “CHANGES,” “HATE MY GUTS” and “1 SIDED LOVE”

Romance by Camila Cabello

Anyone who knows me knows I am a Camila fan. Everyone knows “My Oh My” (feat. DaBaby) because of the Tik Tok trend, but there are a ton of other songs worth hearing. Cabello has a more developed voice and sound, compared to her previous album, in my opinion. It is a whole new ball game.  

Highlighted songs: “Should’ve Said It,” “Cry for Me” and “First Man”

Melodrama by Lorde

I just recently discovered this album, and it’s been on repeat since. The slightly cracked voice and songs are genius. I can’t believe it took me this long to find it.

Highlighted Songs: “Green Light,” “Writer In The Dark” and “The Louvre”

Traveller by Chris Stapleton

I LOVE this album. I love HIS VOICE. I love EVERY song, and I can’t say that for every album on this list. I grew up with my dad playing oldies, like Creedence Clearwater Revival, the Everly Brothers, and Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young. Stapleton is bringing back that effortless sound, and it’s about the music, just getting up on stage with a guitar and singing. If you like country, listen to this album.

Highlighted Songs: “Parachute,” “Nobody to Blame,” “Fire Away,” “Tennessee Whiskey” and “Sometimes I Cry”

I have to admit writing this gave me joy, even during this pandemic. Besides ASMR soap cutting videos, writing and meditating, music always cheers me up. Stay safe and wash your hands!

“Music is what tells us that the human race is greater than we realize.” ― Napoléon Bonaparte

Jackie Sizing

Chapel Hill '21

Hello! My name is Jackie Sizing, and I am a junior at UNC-Chapel Hill. I enjoy writing about pop culture, lifestyle, and food!