This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

I bought an air fryer for my boyfriend last Valentine’s Day, and it has been the best investment I’ve ever made. He and I have made countless things with it from potatoes to fried chicken, and I can’t wait to make more! This item is a definite must-have in your kitchen and here are four reasons why.

Saves Time 

We use our air fryer basically as an oven, but the air fryer is an oven with the speed of a microwave. Oven roasted potatoes usually take around 40 minutes. An air fryer cuts that time in half with it only taking 20 minutes or less. We also use the air fryer for frozen foods like fish sticks or samosas, and they come out crispier and quicker than when using an oven. 

Better for You

Air frying has been proven to be better for you than actual fried food. The air fryer does exactly what you think — it fries with air instead of with oil. This not only brings down the calorie count, but it is also better for overall cholesterol levels because of the lack of oil. I won’t say it’s better than oil fried chicken (because it’s not), but it comes pretty close. An air fryer is perfect to make skin-on chicken marinated like you were baking it in the oven. The chicken skin comes out crispier and tastes better than the oven-roasted comparison.

Easy to Clean

Air fryers usually come with a detachable grate and a bottom piece. Most cleaning only requires a brief washing out with minimal scrubbing. The outside cleaning depends on which model you buy, but most matte ones don’t get a lot of grease or food scraps stuck on them. It tucks nicely into any corner of the kitchen and will not add a huge chore to your to-do list.

Delicious 

I can’t tell you how many dishes I have made in the air fryer. Fried mozzarella balls, broccoli and fried zucchini bites are all things that I have made or reheated. I even use it as a toaster for bread and bagels, and I have seriously cut down on overcooking my bagels. It has allowed me to be more inventive and curious with which food will be best in the air fryer. Like I said before though, you don’t even have to make anything — just pop a frozen samosa in there and you’ll understand. The air fryer is a sure way to make a quick and easy delicious meal.

If by this point you are not convinced, I don’t know what I’m supposed to tell you. It’s easy for any home chef to get the hang of, and it can replace your microwave and toaster and arguably do a better job. Air fryers are a beautiful invention that are easy to clean, healthier for you and will save you a bunch of time.  All I know is that I’m surviving this election with some air fried chicken and potatoes. 

Eleanor Davis

Chapel Hill '21

I am a UNC-CH senior and a writer for HerCampus