3 Mini Road Trips to Take in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Hopefully you find yourself at a school you never want to leave. Between friends, homework, exams, and football or basketball games, time starts to fly by without even realizing it. Sometimes you make it through a weekend and think, “Did I really even do anything?” Did you binge on Netflix? Did you sleep-in and avoid homework? The time spent doing, well, essentially nothing can get away from you if you’re not careful. You don’t have to go far to find something to do with your friends or a significant other for the weekend. Check out these fun destinations that are a small drive from UNC’s campus!

Blowing Rock, North Carolina

This mountainous destination is just under a three hour drive from Chapel Hill! It is a great place to visit for a weekend during any season. The quaint town is just a couple of miles from Boone. The Blue Ridge Parkway in the fall is unlike any other view in North Carolina. Add a hike along the way and take the classic picture at Potato Chip Rock. The overlooks are to die for. If you find yourself in Blowing Rock during the winter, take a weekend to ski at Appalachian Ski Mountain. The student discounts make it worthwhile for a full day of skiing with your friends.

Washington D.C.

Just over four hours north, the capital of our nation is a phenomenal destination for a long weekend. If you want to save money without going into the city, stay in Northern Virginia (which will also cut the driving time!) and take the metro into the city for the day. Even though the drive is a little lengthy, the bang-for-your-buck is worth it. All museums are free of entry! Grab a bite to eat from one of the food trucks that line the National Mall, stop by the Washington Monument, and get a picture on Pennsylvania Avenue and you have yourself a historic trip!

Wilmington, North Carolina

Everyone loves a good movie and beach destination. If you’re a fan of Nicholas Sparks and/or One Tree Hill, this is the place to go! A nice spring weekend is a great time to visit this beachside town. The recent film The Choice was filmed right on Wrightsville Beach and Dockside is a perfect place to have lunch and have a great view of the island and water. Make sure you stop by Island Passage boutique and Monkee’s for a quick shopping trip! If you have the time, map out all of the important places from One Tree Hill and visit Brooke’s house, the River Court, and corner of Grace and Main Street. If it is warm enough, work on your tan before driving the short two and half hours back to Chapel Hill!

Being in Southern Part of Heaven makes it hard to leave, but on the weekends you need a break from papers and people and stress, these three destinations are calling your name. So pack your bags, mark your map, and you’re on your way!

Sara Ingraham is a junior at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill where she is pursuing a Political Science and English double major. She is a Kappa Kappa Gamma. She represents the Panhellenic Community as the Vice President of Special Events. Her free time is full of running, tennis, hiking, fashion, and traveling. Sara has lived all over the country, but has a love for the East Coast. Any afternoon with "When Harry Met Sally" and a good book is an afternoon well spent.