1950s Inspired Winter Looks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Now that winter has made its bitter entrance, it’s officially time to crack open the old shoe boxes and upstairs closets to bring out the leather booties, suede knee-highs, plum colored pea coats and fingerless gloves. But when making trips to the mall for new additions to the winter wardrobe, you may need some inspiration on how to look hot while standing out the in the cold. Here you have it, Collegiettes: the timeless class of 50s fashion. It exemplifies sex appeal without exposing very much – perfect for the few months when Chapel Hill becomes Chapel Chill.

Free People 1950s Vintage Collection
If you are looking for a signature 50s piece to spotlight an outfit, Free People is a good place to go to get inspired. Many of their pieces – like their Vintage Knit Slippers and Vintage Bowling League Dress – are pricey, but may spur you to look into some less bank-breaking replicas.

Pin Up Girl Clothing

More risqué, but undeniably cute; this is 50s with an edge. The dresses look like they are straight off the racks of Mad Men, if Mad Men were on FX. The outwear includes vintage shrugs and faux fur coats that scream Betty Page and Marilyn Monroe; imagine a date to see The Nutcracker at Memorial Hall dripping with old Hollywood class.

Mod Cloth
A more conservative taste will be satisfied here. However, pair any of these tame Suzie Homemaker dresses with a leather jacket and/or leggings and boots, and you will quickly become an intriguing mix of naughty and nice. Also, their accessories are stylish and especially affordable.

Beauty By the Decade: The 1950s @ CollegeFashion.net
This well-assembled tutorial on 50s fashion will illustrate how to apply decade-inspired makeup as well as how to create rolled bangs, soft curls and The Pompadour. With these tips, combined with a few key duds, you will have retro-fab down in no time.

“Mad Men” Hairstyles
“Mad Men” is largely responsible for reviving the understated class that is 50s fashion, and so much of that is accomplishing the right hairdo. Peggy’s cute curls and parted bangs scream girlish charm and 

GUESS
and Guess Accessories
Their campaigns are always worth a look just out of sheer awe-inspiring beauty. Their fall campaign with Amber Heard and winter accessories campaign featuring Kate Upton and Sandra Hellberg are 50s class made sexy and relevant for today.

50s Tumblr
This Tumblr is perfect for make up and hair ideas, and generally, all things 50s. The pictures and illustrations are so pretty you could even print them out on photo paper and use them as decoration to give your bedroom or bathroom a little more fifties flair.

Make – Up Tutorial and Karmin Hair
So I find it is a lot easier to mimic a makeup style or hairstyle if you watch how it is done. So, check out these two videos: one shows the steps of accomplishing a beautiful pin-up look and the second is a tutorial on how to get the signature bouffant-curl hybrid made famous by Amy from the band Karmin (they also do a great cover of “Look At Me Now” by Chris Brown if you are interested).

Amber Heard (photo): http://beverlyhillshoneys.com/amber-heard-guess-2011/
Peggy Olson (photo): http://thegenderblog.files.wordpress.com
Guess Kate Upton (photo): fashionflags.com
50s Illustration (photo): http://1950s.tumblr.com/

Sophomore, PR major at UNC