12 Thoughts I had While Traveling Alone for the First Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Let’s all admit it: travelling alone sounds scary. Is it even possible? And if it is, am I capable of it? While studying abroad last semester, I had these same thoughts and feelings about travelling by myself, but I did it and loved it, even though it was terrifying at first. Read on to find out how I felt throughout the process:

1. I want to go there, but no one else does…

2. I mean maybe I could go alone…

3. I’m doing it. Who knows when I’ll be back again? Let’s gooooo! *buys plane tickets*

4. Oh shoot. What have I done? Who am I kidding? I’m not capable of this.

5. But the deed is done – I bought the tickets, so I’m going.

6. What’s the worst that can happen? I get stuck in Dublin? Darn…

7. How can I even navigate this city by myself? Is it safe?

*3 hours later – plane lands and arrives in city*

8. Wow! I made it here in one piece! Look at me go!

9. Shoot. I don’t know anyone. Who am I going to go to the Guinness Storehouse with?

*Makes friends, has great time*

10. This is so much fun! I’m meeting so many people I never would have met otherwise!

11. AND I can do anything I want! I don’t have to please anyone but myself. This is a pretty sweet deal.

12. I feel unstoppable! If I can travel all by myself, who knows what else I could do!

GIFS courtesy of GIPHY

Mikala is majoring in Journalism (Public Relations Specialization) and Global Studies and is minoring in Hispanic Studies. Her learning experiences both from PR courses and from outside PR experiences have led to Mikala's aspiration to become a PR practitioner. She hopes to continue learning more about PR through her current experiences and through future internships.