Wellness

10 Ways To Have Fun (And Be Productive) Even When You’re Stuck Inside

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

There’s a lot going on in the world right now. Uncertainty, doubt, fear and isolation are creeping into the carefully laid foundations of our society. This global pandemic has given us a reason to feel all of those feelings, as well as a reason to stay home. That being said, I know that being stuck inside all day can eventually start to take a toll on a person. If you’re running out of things to keep yourself occupied, then look no further than these ten ways to have fun indoors.

Create a Positivity Journal

Look on the bright side of things! Create a journal in which you can constantly write down all of your positive thoughts about things that are good in the world. Take a chance to step away from the negatives and look at the positives.

Have a Self-Care Night

Face masks, painted nails, the whole thing! Throw a bath bomb in the tub and get to relaxing!

Work from Home?

If you have a work-from-home job, then now is the perfect time to make some extra money. If not, it’s definitely something to look into!

Read Some Books!

All those books you bought with good intentions of reading and then never did? Now’s the time to catch up on reading and dive into a new world for a few hours.

Get Caught Up on Your Favorite Shows

Any new shows on Netflix that you’ve been meaning to watch? There’s no time like the present!

Have Facetime Get-Togethers with All Your Friends

Trust me when I say that I miss my college friends, but thanks to today’s technology, you can still keep in touch via video chats!

Learn to Cook

New recipes you want to test out? Go for it! Maybe just don’t use up all of your food on that.

Find a New Hobby!

Learn to play an instrument or start writing more; the world is your oyster!

Apply for Jobs

If you’re a graduating senior like me, keep your focus on the future, which involves finding full-time jobs. If you’re not, maybe look into some summer internships or positions for the upcoming school year! Productivity is key.

Realize That There Is Joy in All Aspects of Life

Realize that you can find joy in all aspects of life. No matter what life throws at us, there is still so much love and happiness in this world, and together, we can move past anything.

Above all, remember that you are not alone. There’s a whole world out there experiencing a crisis like never before. We’re all in this thing together, and we can get through it, even if that means spending some time at home, stuck indoors.

Ashley Oldham

Chapel Hill '20

Ashley Oldham is a senior English and Comparative Literature and Sociology double major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. In her free time she enjoys drinking way too much coffee, attempting to write the next great American novel, and going on spontaneous road trips, all in the name of procrastinating on whatever schoolwork she currently has to do. To see what she's doing next (and get bombarded with cat pictures) follow her on Instagram @ashleyyerinno.