10 Things You Should do in December

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Around the latter part of the year, I love when the weather gets chillier and the holiday festivities begin. The winter season not only gives me an excuse to begin wearing cozy sweaters and long socks but also to gather with friends to decorate gingerbread houses and drink hot chocolate! Looking at the beautiful holiday lights that adorn every lamppost on major streets, I started to think about how great it is to be surrounded by holiday cheer. Regardless of the holiday one celebrates, December is a month filled with festivities and free time to spend with friends and family. There is no time to be bored!  Here are ten things that should be on your December to-do list:

1. Watch a classic holiday movie.

What’s your favorite holiday movie? I still remember eating snacks and watching Elf for the first time with my cousins at my aunt’s house.

2. Make holiday treats!

When else do you plan to use snowflake cookie cutters and make delicious sugar cookies? If cookies aren’t your thing, challenge yourself to make peppermint barks or a log cake this winter.

3. Festive drinks.

Hot chocolate, and eggnog are definitely staple drinks but treat yourself to seasonal lattes such as the gingerbread latte or  peppermint mocha latte at your favorite coffee shop.

4. Play in the Snow.

Shoveling may be a hassle but seize the opportunity to have fun in the snow! When was the last time you had a snowball fight, went sledding or built a snowman? If you never tried skiing or snowboarding, I highly recommend trying it out this December.

5. Create a holiday tradition

Every year, my family and I watch our favorite movies series: Home Alone 1 and Home Alone 2. It is the only movie series that all of my family members enjoy watching.

6. Host a gingerbread man/ gingerbread house decorating contest.

I think I only decorated one gingerbread house in my lifetimes. I pledge to return from my hiatus this December.

7. Make your own ornament or wreath

Hanging a wreath on your front door is a beautiful way to welcome guests into your home during the holiday season. The best part is, you can buy supplies at the dollar store and get super creative!

8. Volunteer to make someone else’s holiday memorable.

Whether through Operation Christmas Child, The Angel Tree, Toys for Tots, by volunteering at a food pantry, or by offering to shovel snow for a neighbor, contribute to the holiday spirit!

9. Support a local event.

Chances are you have a sibling, cousin, or friend who is performing in a holiday concert or play. Support them by attending their performance! You may be surprised by the talent you see at the local shows.

10. Reflect on the past year and think about your goals for next year!

Set yourself up for a great year by planning for success! During December, think about specific  goals for yourself so that you are ready to make changes come January 1st. Every day is an opportunity to make positive changes but New Year’s Day is a holiday that encourages worldwide self improvement.

December is an eventful month that gives people the incentive to partake in holiday festivities and contribute to the joyful spirit. Make December 2015 one to remember by spending time with those you love and making unforgettable memories.

Rachael is a senior public relations major at UNC–Chapel Hill. In addition to being the president/co-campus correspondent of Her Campus Chapel Hill, Rachael is also a member of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority and a mentor for EASE, a study abroad organization. She is an enthusiast of Snapchat, strong coffee, and "hardcore parkour" goat videos.