10 Things Every Good Tar Heel Must Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

I’m a Tar Heel born, I’m a Tar Heel bred and when I die I’m a Tar Heel dead.  It’s true – I could never trick fate.  My mother was a Tar Heel, my cousins are Tar Heels, and unfortunately my sister chose NC State.  Rivalry aside, I love Carolina and believe that as a senior there are some things all good Tar Heels need to experience.  Here is a list of the 10 things to add to your senior bucket list:

1.     Drink from the Old Well
A long standing Carolina tradition, it is said that if you drink from the Old Well on the first day of class you will receive a 4.0 for the semester.  Whether or not this is true, drinking from the Old Well on a beautiful day is an experience that cannot be beaten.

2.     Breakfast at Sutton’s
Established in 1928, Sutton’s Drug Store is truly a Carolina tradition.  From the restaurant’s wonderful sweet tea and milkshakes to their classic hot dogs, Sutton’s cannot be rivaled.  Go for breakfast or lunch.

3.     Attend a UNC v. Duke game

If you’re a senior you still have one chance left! This, of course, is easier said than done.  It can be quite difficult to get tickets to the UNC v. Duke game but if you get the chance don’t hesitate to go.  The rivalry is intense, but the spirit and support of all the fellow Tar Heels is incredible.  And who wouldn’t love to see the Tar Heels level the devils their senior year?

4.     Rush Franklin Street
Wherever you’ve been watching the game, get out and rush Franklin Street if the Tar Heels win.  Don’t get trampled or burned by the random bonfires that crop up, but have fun.

5.     Morehead Planetarium
Go to Morehead Planetarium and see one of the popular shows, such as Carolina Skies.  The planetarium also offers several seasonal versions of it’s star shows, including “Our Vanishing Night” and “Scare-o-lina Skies.”  You’ll be surprised how beautiful and inspiring stargazing can be.  

6.     North Carolina Botanical Garden
Need to escape for a bit?  Visit the North Carolina Botanical Garden and take a nature hike or spring garden tour.  The scenery is beautiful and it is a great way to relax and explore without traveling far.

7.     Study in Wilson Library
The aura of Wilson Library alone seems to make a person more productive.  The library is absolutely quiet, but stunningly beautiful.  Sit in a corner in a worn leather chair and catch up on your homework or enjoy the latest novel you’re reading.

8.     He’s Not Here

I’m not sure how many seniors have never been to He’s Not, but if you’re one of the select few you need to go for the tradition, if anything.  Established in 1975, He’s Not isn’t new to the area.  Half bar, half beer garden, He’s Not is unique in many ways.  If the sound of a 33 ounce blue cup excites you, then He’s Not Here is the place for you.

9.     Attend a play or concert at Memorial Hall
Memorial Hall offers world-class performances of music, dance, and theater along with lectures by some of today’s most influential speakers.   Memorial Hall was built to honor David Lowry Swain (former N.C. governor and past president of UNC) and other North Carolinians, students, faculty and staff who lost their lives in the line of duty.

10. Streak during exam week*
Streaking in Davis Library or the Undergraduate library during exam week has a long history at Chapel Hill.  As witness to the event, all I can say is, “it’s not pretty.”  I’m sure those who have streaked would tell you it is a great story to tell years later, but I suppose it’s up to each individual to determine how comfortable they are with the situation.

*This is not necessarily recommended for every UNC student. Viewer discretion is advised.

Sources:
Bleed Blue (image): http://farm3.static.flickr.com…
Carolina girls (image): my personal photo
Hes Not (image): http://www.facebook.com/HesNot
http://www.moreheadplanetarium.org
https://www.carolinaperforming…

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!