10 Must Have Items From Trader Joe’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

As a college student I normally stick to the good ‘ole Walmart when buying groceries because the prices are cheap and they have most of the brands I love. Although Trader Joe’s has pretty great prices too, they don’t offer name brand items (and I’m partial to Special K Red Berries and Silk Almond Milk). But, about once a month, I can’t help myself and I have to run by Trader Joe’s to pick up some of their unique and delicious goodies. Here are some of my favorites:

1. Speculoos Cookie Butter

Yes. This is an actual thing. Forget peanut butter and Nutella (okay maybe not Nutella) because Trader Joe’s Speculoos Cookie Butter is heaven in a jar. This one-of-a-kind spread goes perfectly on bread and baked goods, or you can just do what I do and eat it by the spoonful. Cookie Butter has an almost gingerbread taste with tiny crunchy pieces of Belgian Speculoos cookies mixed in. It’s as close to spreadable cookie dough as you’re going to get. Not to mention the other flavors, Cookie and Cocoa Swirl and Cookies & Creme Cookie Butter.

2.  Trader Joe’s Pomegranate Limeade

One of my good friends introduced me to this and it’s seriously some of the best juice I’ve ever sipped on. At one point I think I had three liters of it in my fridge. (I do live with five other girls though so don’t judge me too hard). After you’ve gotten your 8 cups of water for the day, treat yourself to a glass of this stuff, and you’ll probably never buy orange juice again. It also tastes yummy in smoothies and mixed drinks!

3. Triple Ginger Snaps

These little cookies are one of Trader Joe’s best selling items. I love gingerbread year round because it reminds me of the holiday season, and overall, I just love the taste. If you’re also a gingerbread cookie lover, take my advice and go pick up a tub of these bad boys. The “triple” is coming from fresh, crystallized and ground ginger, so your tastebuds are not going to be missing out on flavor. They’re pretty small in size, so you won’t feel bad indulging on three or four.

4. Chocolate Chip Brownie and Oat Bars

These aren’t just any ordinary snack bar. High in fiber from the oats and only 120 calories per bar, I first thought they wouldn’t actually taste like a brownie. BUT BOY WAS I WRONG. These bars are awesome. I eat them as snacks when I’m in class, or after dinner for dessert because they are just that good.

5. Reduced Guilt Chunky Guacamole

Oh. My. Gosh. Stop what you are doing right now because you have to go buy some of Trader Joe’s Reduced Guilt Chunky Guacamole. Made with chunks of avocado, tomatoes, fresh lime juice, cilantro and onion, you’re probably wondering how this so called guacamole is any different from higher-calorie brands. Well, the secret ingredient is– drumroll please–thick, creamy,  low-fat greek yogurt. So eat your heart out ladies, because this amazing concoction is only 30 cals per serving.  

6. Wild Blueberry & Vanilla Goat Cheese

Okay yes, I know this may sound weird at first, but please just hear me out. If you aren’t into goat cheese then I completely understand, but for the gals who are all about it like me, this blueberry and vanilla goat cheese is a must try. The tangy, fruity combination tastes incredible on bagels for breakfast or topped on crackers for a snack.

7. Honey Wheat Pretzel Sticks

Pretzels are one of my favorite snacks because they fill me up, are low in fat, and satisfy me when I’m craving a little salty crunch. These honey wheat pretzel sticks are perfect for dipping and eating as a side for lunch. They are finished off with a touch of honey, so if you like salty sweet combinations then you will love these!

8. Coffee á Cocoa

Do you like chocolate? What about coffee? If you answered yes to both of those questions then keep reading, but if you answered no to either then you may want to go see someone about that because you aren’t living properly. After years of searching and trying out different coffees to make at home, I finally found this incredible, amazing, award-worthy coffee brand at Trader Joe’s. Coffee á Cocoa is a blend of 100% Arabica beans with unsweetened cocoa that also uses a little flavor of chocolate fudge. Add a little milk & sugar and you have yourself one cup of happiness.

9. Mochi Ice Cream

Trader Joe’s take on this classic Japanese treat is yummy and refreshing. To explain, Mochi is a Japanese rice cake that is wrapped around sweet, creamy ice cream. If you’ve never tried Mochi, I urge you to venture out of your comfort zone and take a bite! My brother was the one who made me try some for the first time, and I’ve never looked back. My favorite is the mango, but Trader Joe’s sells other flavors like green tea, strawberry, chocolate and vanilla.

10. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dunkers

I don’t know any other cookie that was created specifically to dunk into a glass of milk. Oreos are great and all, but Trader Joe’s Chocolate Chip Dunkers Cookies are even more melt-in-your-mouth delicious. Not only are they chock full of chocolate chips, but the bottom of each cookie is coated with a layer of chocolate. So, even if you aren’t a milk and cookie type of girl, you can still enjoy these chocolatey treats by themselves.