candle kit?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
candle kit?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Amazon

10 Crafty Things You Can Create To Express Yourself (Even in Quarantine)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

In times like these, when you’re stuck inside, there’s plenty to do to help showcase your crafty side. Here are ten crafts, activities and other ideas to help you express yourself (even in quarantine).

Make a Candle

There are plenty of YouTube videos out there on how to make candles, but they all look relatively easy to me (and super cute)! Get things smelling good!

Make Soap

This craft is fun and practical. I’ve seen lots of videos lately on how to make cute soaps, and I think it’s a worthy trend.

Cook a New Dish

I have watched so many cooking videos lately that I don’t even think I can properly put it into words. However, I can safely say that there are tons of recipes out there to try.

Put Together a Cute Puzzle

Find a puzzle and get to putting it together! If it’s something you want to keep, you can make your own puzzle glue with one cup of water and one cup of regular glue mixed together.

Get to Painting

If you have some paints and a canvas lying around, now would be the perfect time to hone your art skills! I like to print out a cute quote, cut out the letters, trace it on the canvas and paint from there.

Make a New Centerpiece

Make a new centerpiece for your kitchen or living room. If you have any fake flowers, find a cute container and some fun, smaller items (rocks or beads) and create a centerpiece.

Upcycle a Piece of Furniture

I love giving old furniture a fresh, new look! You could spray paint a nightstand and sand it down for a cute and rustic look, or you could cover the top of your desk in adhesive vinyl (try marble patterns for a cute look).

Upcycle Containers for House Plants

If you have any house plants, maybe succulents or a small herb garden, you can paint their containers, repot them in something cute or really do anything you’d like!

Write a Book or Story

I think crafting extends into the realm of writing as well, and getting all of your thoughts on paper or on the computer is a fun way to express yourself.

Create a Shadow Box

Create a shadow box containing important college memories or items from any significant event in your life that you’d like to remember in a special way.

As you can see, there are plenty of fun things you can do to keep yourself happy and occupied right now, so grab anything you might have on hand and get to crafting!

Ashley Oldham

Chapel Hill '20

Ashley Oldham is a senior English and Comparative Literature and Sociology double major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. In her free time she enjoys drinking way too much coffee, attempting to write the next great American novel, and going on spontaneous road trips, all in the name of procrastinating on whatever schoolwork she currently has to do. To see what she's doing next (and get bombarded with cat pictures) follow her on Instagram @ashleyyerinno.