10 Activities To Get You Through Parents Weekend (And Have Fun)!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Carolina Family Weekend 2015 is only two days away, and if you’re anything like me, you’re probably trying to figure out how to keep your family entertained for 48 hours without pulling all of your hair out!

Because you can only show them how “clean” you’ve kept your dorm room for about three minutes (let’s be real, you just stuffed everything in your closet), here are 10 things that you will actually enjoy doing with the ‘rents this weekend.

1. “Fridays On The Front Porch” (FOFP) at the Carolina Inn

The Carolina Inn hosts live shag music and food trucks on their front lawn from 5-8 PM every Friday night on their massive (and gorgeous) front lawn. It’s the perfect way to get some inexpensive grub and enjoy a classic UNC landmark.

2. Trip to YOPO

I don’t think I’m exaggerating at all when I say that The Yogurt Pump on Franklin Street is possibly the best thing about UNC. As if you didn’t need another reason to love delicious frozen dairy goodness, their pumpkin flavor is back and better than ever. If you have any bad grades to share (like that Biology 101 midterm you bombed *cough cough*), definitely do it while your dad’s mouth is stuffed with YOPO so he can’t possibly get mad at you.

3. Family pics at the Old Well

Should you take pics with your family at the Old Well?  I don’t know, is the pope Catholic?  Pictures at the Old Well will become prized possessions 30 years down the road when you look back and remember the epitome of Chapel Hill.  Get creative!  Slap a filter on it and Instagram that sucker ASAP, becausec #TarHeelPride is a real thing, y’all.

4. Have a picnic at your favorite spot on campus

Picnics are the quintessential family-fun outing. Grab some subs and take your family to the Lower Quad, Upper Quad, or Ehaus Fields to soak up some rays!

5. Explore Franklin Street

It’s time to face the facts: the $20 of spending money your mom slipped you before she left in August is long gone, and you are in desperate need of fresh fruit besides melons from the dining hall, new Carolina paraphernalia, and that one “way too expensive but totally worth it” dress in the boutique window. Franklin has everything: food, art, coffee, dessert, shopping, jewelry, and it’s a great way to kill a few hours (and hopefully leave with a full belly and some new stuff).

6. Carolina Family BBQ in the Pit

What’s better than some good ‘ol fashioned Carolina style BBQ in the Pit? (I can’t really think of anything…) Sponsored by NSCPP, this event is from 3-5 PM on Saturday…the perfect post-game meal.

7. Ackland Art Museum

Ackland is the perfect place to explore if you’re feeling a hint of hipster, sophisticated, classy or just #artsy. If your dad is one of those guys who reads every little inscription beside every single piece of art, it will take you the entire weekend to get through the first floor, so bring some snacks and a Red Bull.

8. Game Day Tailgate at Ehringhaus Fields

Introduce your family to the art of tailgating. Starting at 10 AM, Carolina Fever will be face painting, serving food and getting everyone excited for the game (which is at 12:30 PM)! Your parents were college kids once too…who knows, they may surprise you with their tailgating finesse!

9. Fall Film: Inside Out

This one is for all the little siblings who were dragged along for the weekend without a choice. Show them some love and take them on a movie date! The CUAB is showing the latest kids movie obsession multiple nights in the FPG Student Union Auditorium. Grab some popcorn and get ready to show your baby sib that it is perfectly acceptable to see animated movies as a college kid on a Friday night.

10. Kilometers for the Kids 5K, 10K, or 1 Mile Fun Run

What better way to end the weekend than getting your #FamilyFitness on while helping fundraise for UNC’s general pediatric clinic? Sponsored by Carolina For The Kids Foundation (CFTK), you can run this race at 9 AM on Sunday morning #ForTheKids.

Have some quality Ohana time this weekend, and remember it’s always a GDTBATH!

Hannah Hudson

Chapel Hill

Hannah Hudson is a sophomore at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill pursuing a degree in Strategic Communications with a minor in Advertising. She leads Young Life College, a Christian Outreach Program, on UNC's campus and is a Marketing Committee Chair of She's The First, a non-profit that provides scholarships to girls in low-income countries. She loves quoting Michael Scott whenever possible, believes Leslie Knope is her spirit animal, and drinks more coffee than water. Chances are she's currently wearing something with polka dots on it. Follow her on Instagram @the_hudsonbae
Rachael is a senior public relations major at UNC–Chapel Hill. In addition to being the president/co-campus correspondent of Her Campus Chapel Hill, Rachael is also a member of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority and a mentor for EASE, a study abroad organization. She is an enthusiast of Snapchat, strong coffee, and "hardcore parkour" goat videos.