Top Tips To Fight The Freshers Flu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CCCU chapter.
We all get caught out at the beginning of the term by the lack of routine and the late nights. Most of us (myself included) are prone to catching Fresher’s Flu, which is another way of saying we are a bit too quick to hug people and ending up catching a cold. 

So, without further adieu, here are our top tips to not only fighting illness, but to avoid catching it!

Wear Your Coat
Remember what your mother told you: wear your coat or else you’ll catch a cold. Well it’s true. The amount of students I see on a Friday night wearing nothing but a skimpy outfit is ridiculous. And then they wonder why they’re so ill! Wrap up warm in the winter and avoid getting caught in the rain. 
Close That Window
A draft isn’t just giving you the chills at night, it’s giving you a cold! So as winter rears it’s snowy head, remember to shut the window before you drift off to sleep.

Catch Some Z’s
Speaking of sleep – get some! Sleep is the best way to keep happy and healthy all year round. If you’re staying up until 3 am every night, you aren’t getting enough REM sleep which means your body doesn’t have time to mend. So catch some z’s and always know: you’re body is a temple so treat it wisely!

Vitamins For Vitality
I know we all like to avoid that whole-foods pill-popping stereotype, but a student diet isn’t the most nutritious. So if you know you’re fridge is going to be lacking your five-a-day, at least make sure you’re taking some vitamins to top up. 

Healthy Eating
Food is important – if all you eat is processed junk, you aren’t getting you fruit and veg which contain all the yummy goodness your body needs, so the next time you go shopping: put down the pizza and go find some parsnips!

Close Contact
It’s simple enough, see that guy coughing, or the girl with a tissue in her hand? STAY AWAY! Close contact is the number one way of catching illnesses, so keep clear of those with a runny nose. 

I'm a 20 year old self-published author who blogs a lot and drinks far too much tea! Melissa Holden's Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/MelissaHoldenWriter Melissa Holden's Amazon Page: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Melissa-Holden/e/B00GSL71SE/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1416236950&sr=8-1