Rediscovered Reads – The Weather Wardens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CCCU chapter.

I read these books a few years ago when I bought the first two in the series (Ill Wind and Heat Stroke) as part of a buy-one-get-one-free deal. I enjoyed the books at the time but I originally read them too fast because I wanted to know how the series ended, so I recently re-read them more slowly.

The Weather Wardens by Rachel Caine is a series of 9 urban fantasy books following the life of Joanne Baldwin. Jo is a member of the Wardens, a secret international organization whose members have the ability to control the elements. The Wardens job is to try and stop natural disasters and save lives, which is complicated enough without knowing that Mother Earth is slowly awakening – and boy does she hate humanity.

The main character, Jo, is a tough and kick-ass heroine. I really liked that she’s not one of those stereotypical heroines who sits back while the guys do all the hard work – Jo’s always right in the middle of the action! It was also really refreshing to find a female character who loves fast cars as much as she loves fashion.

Caine’s characters are developed well, and it’s nice to see their flaws explored as much as their good points. My favourite character in the series is Lewis, who is the most powerful Warden with the extremely rare ability to control weather, fire, and earth. I like Lewis because he’s such a multi-faceted character. At first he just seems like a humble, down-to-earth guy, but throughout the series we find out more and more about him as Caine explores every inch of his character.

The series also gives a brand new take on the classic tale of the genie in a bottle. In the Weather Wardens the genie is reborn as the Djinn, a race of magical beings that are kept as slaves by the Wardens. The Djinn are sly and evasive, often preferring to hinder the Wardens as much as they help them, which of course leads to more drama!

Having read a lot of Caine’s books, I can say that one of the things she does best is urban fantasy. Caine is very good at mixing fantasy realistically with the real world, which is also explored in another of her series: The Morganville Vampires. However, I found this series to be like a breath of fresh air because of the absence of the usual creatures that come with the urban fantasy label. There are no vampires, werewolves, or fairies in the Weather Wardens.

I’ve read quite a lot of urban fantasy books, but I found this series captivated me and I couldn’t put it down! It’s hard to go into detail without giving away spoilers, but the fast-paced plot is full of unexpected twists and turns throughout the series that will leave you wanting more.

This is one of the few series that I can truthfully say I enjoyed reading the second time as much as I did the first. If you’re a fan of urban fantasy or are just looking for a new book to read, give the Weather Wardens a try. You’ll be hooked from book one!

I'm in my final year of studying Creative & Professional Writing at Canterbury Christ Church University. Aside from writing, I love books, bands, TV shows, film, photography, and travel.