Pentatonix: Passionate, Priceless, Perfect

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CCCU chapter.

Have you heard musical perfection?

It exists, and its name is Pentatonix.

If you haven’t heard of them before, then you’re in for a real treat.

Pentatonix, or PTX, are a five-strong American a capella group: primary vocalists Scott Hoying, Mitch Grassi and Kirstie Maldonado, bassist Avi Kaplan, and beatboxer Kevin “K.O.” Olusola.

They were the Season Three winners of reality music show The Sing-Off. They’re a YouTube sensation. And they just finished their second European tour.

The O2 Academy in Oxford was one of the last three venues on the tour. And how was the show?

Mind-blowing.

There are some artists and groups who sound great on CD, but in concert, they flounder. PTX couldn’t be further from that.

The group were pitch-perfect for the entire set, which lasted over an hour and a half and covered the whole spectrum of their tracks.

From their viral hit Daft Punk medley to soulful ballad Run To You, from their ingenious Evolution of Music to a spectacular cover of Lorde’s single Royals, Pentatonix had something for almost everyone.

Add K.O.’s “cello-boxing”, where he plays the cello and beatboxes at the same time, and Avi’s overtone singing, and you have a recipe for musical heaven.

PTX are the group that keep on giving. You couldn’t ask for better singers, greater performers or nicer people.

Their encore for the evening was a glorious rendition of Fun’s We Are Young. And when the whole building joined in for the chorus, there was no doubt that PTX could set the world on fire.

Go and see them as soon as you can. You won’t regret it.

For more on PTX, check out their website, and follow them on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter.

Penny Gotch is an Essex girl living in Kent, where she's studying Creative & Professional Writing. She dabbles in everything. Fiction, non-fiction, poetry, script: you name it, she does it. In her spare time, she likes music, baking, and watching wrestling. For more information, please check out her website: www.pennygotch.co.uk