This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CCCU chapter.

Justin Furstenfeld is a man who has lived a roller-coaster life.

The lead singer and song writer of band Blue October has struggled with mental illness, addiction and the custody of his daughter Blue.

And the Open Book tour is his opportunity be just that: an open book. His goal is to let fans into his world and tell the truth.

But before Justin came the support act: Lotte Mullan.

Some have called Lotte the female Bob Dylan. A British singer-songwriter. she spent two years touring solo before moving to Nashville, USA to make an album with country rockers Band of Horses.

The first single from it, I Hope It Breaks Your Heart, hit over 60,000 streams on Soundcloud and got air time on BBC Radio 2 and 6 music. She also runs her own music label, Raindog Records.

But how was her set?

Wonderful. Her voice perfectly complemented the sound of her guitar, and her lyrics were beautiful and heartfelt. Lotte releases her second album early next year, so look out for it. She’s worth listening to. And after her came Justin himself.

And he was beyond amazing. The acoustic versions of his well-known Blue October songs were outstanding.

Just the power and quality of his singing is out of this world.

For his final number, he didn’t use the microphone and his voice still filled the Islington Assembly Hall. Every song was perfect, whether fast or slow, happy or sad. They all fitted together to create a single flowing narrative throughout the evening.

And the spoken word pieces were just as wonderful. Justin brings his audience into his world, his life and his history with a deft hand. He lifts up even the darkest moments of his personal history with touches of dark humour. And he refuses to shy away from admitting how low he sank.

If you want to fall into the stories of a brave, vulnerable person, go to one of Justin Furstenfeld’s shows. You won’t regret it.

Have you been to one of the shows on the Open Book tour? What did you think? Let us known on Facebook, Twitter (@HerCampusCCCU) or in the comments!

Penny Gotch is an Essex girl living in Kent, where she's studying Creative & Professional Writing. She dabbles in everything. Fiction, non-fiction, poetry, script: you name it, she does it. In her spare time, she likes music, baking, and watching wrestling. For more information, please check out her website: www.pennygotch.co.uk