This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CCCU chapter.

Well we have reached that time in the awards calendar. When the BAFTA’s and Golden Globes seem like years ago, the red carpet is rolled out and fashion designers sew their famous models into their outfits.

Ellen DeGeneres was back to host the awards six years after she hosted them in 2007 and she did a brilliant job. Between her amazing costume changes and hilarious one liners she was a sure hit with the audience of nervous nominees. Also DeGeneres managed to get the best selfie ever including Jared Leto, Jennifer Lawrence and Brad Pitt.

‘Gravity’ was the winner of the night after it managed to clean up winning 7 of the 10 Oscars it was nominated for. These included sound editing, original score, film editing, Cinematography and best director for Alfonso Cuaron. With a British backing to this film it was amazing to see it win so many of the awards, with the visual effects Oscar going to the London based team.

‘Dallas Buyers Club’ picked up the first award of the night however, with best supporting actor going to Jared Leto. The actor, and ‘Thirty Seconds To Mars’ front man thanked his fellow nominees saying “I’m proud to share this journey with you.” The film also managed to pick up the award for Make-up and Hair which is impressive as the Make-up team only had a budget of $250.

The award for Best Supporting Actress went to Lupita Nyong’o for ‘12 Years a Slave’. The actress wept while accepting her first Oscar, saying that being part of the film was the “Joy of her life.” The film also won the big award of the night for best film. During his acceptance speech, director Steve McQueen said “Everyone deserves not just to survive but to live, this is the most important legacy of Solomon Northup and I dedicate this to those who endured slavery and for the millions who still endure slavery today.”

There was no surprise in the Animated Film category when the Oscar went to Disney’s new smash hit ‘Frozen’. Leading actress Idina Menzel even performed at the awards singing ‘Let It Go’ which won original song.

Cate Blanchett and Matthew McConaughey walked away with the best actress and actor Oscars for ‘Blue Jasmin’ and ‘Dallas Buyers Club’.

Even though DiCaprio missed out on best actor again Catherine Martin won two Oscars for ‘The Great Gatsby’ taking home the costume and production design awards. 

The biggest loser of the night was ‘American Hustle’. After being nominated for 10 Oscars, the film didn’t pick up one award.

Well that’s it for another year but you can be sure that they are all going to be back next year, ready to fight for that Oscar. Congratulations to all the winners and see below for the full list:

Best picture Winner: 12 Years a Slave

Best director Winner: Alfonso Cuaron, Gravity

Best actor Winner: Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club

Best actress Winner: Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine

Best supporting actor Winner: Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club

Best supporting actress Winner: Lupita Nyong’o, 12 Years a Slave

Best adapted screenplay Winner: 12 Years a Slave

Best original screenplay Winner: Her

Best animated feature Winner: Frozen

Best animated short Winner: Mr Hublot

Best cinematography Winner: Gravity

Best costume design Winner: The Great Gatsby

Best documentary feature Winner: 20 Feet from Stardom

Best documentary short Winner: The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life

Best film editing Winner: Gravity

Best foreign language film Winner: The Great Beauty (Italy)

Best live action short Winner: Helium

Best make-up Winner: Dallas Buyers Club

Best original score Winner: Gravity

Best original song Winner: Let It Go – Frozen

Best production design Winner: The Great Gatsby

Best sound editing Winner: Gravity

Best sound mixing Winner: Gravity

Best visual effects Winner: Gravity

What did you think of the Oscars? Do you think the right nominees won? Tweet us @HerCampusCCCU.

Ashleigh is 21 and is currently in her second year at Canterbury Christ Church University.