Campus Cutie: Harrison Taylor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CCCU chapter.

The Basics

Name: Harrison Taylor

Age: 21

Hometown: Harlow, Essex

Degree: Creative & Professional Writing/English Literature (Combined Honours)

Favourites

Movie: Back to the Future

Song: “God You Made The World All Wrong” from Notre Dame de Paris

Food: Chicken! Any kind of chicken.

Hobbies: Video games, singing, acting, writing and drawing.

What’s your first term at university been like so far?

Absolutely enjoyable! I’ve been made to feel very welcome, the course is brilliant, and I’ve met a lot of new people.

You’re studying Creative Writing. How would you describe your writing style?

I mostly write poetry and songs – I’m a songwriter and a poet – and they mainly fall into two categories. They’re either heavily political, or they’re love-based – love songs, sonnets, that sort of thing. And I tend to use a lot of ‘big words”. I’m developing an old man voice!

What module are you most looking forward to? Which one do you think will be most challenging?

I’m currently doing Drama, which was one I was looking forward to, but I’m most excited for Poetry. It’s the one I have the most experience at writing and I want to see how the module can help me develop. I think non-fiction will be most challenging. I’ve done a lot of research in science and politics, but I think it’ll be tricky trying to maintain creativity in the professional side of things and writing from information instead of the heart.

If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

Can I choose two? My first would be Alaska to see the lakes freeze over and skim stones on it. Apparently it sounds fantastic. And I’d just like absorb that atmosphere and the cold – I’m a cold weather person. And the other is the Norfolk broads because I love the place. It’s where I feel most at home.

If you could only read books by one writer for the rest of your life, who would it be and why?

Victor Hugo because there are so many sides to his stories. He has so many characters and each story can be seen through each character’s perspective. And his views changed so much throughout his life that there’s great variety of emotions and characters in his stories.

Personal Motto

You can never go wrong with something profound and in Latin – it makes you sound smart.

Thank you so much, Harrison! And if you’ve got a Campus Cutie recommendation, please let us know on Facebook, Twitter (@HerCampusCCCU) or in the comments!

Penny Gotch is an Essex girl living in Kent, where she's studying Creative & Professional Writing. She dabbles in everything. Fiction, non-fiction, poetry, script: you name it, she does it. In her spare time, she likes music, baking, and watching wrestling. For more information, please check out her website: www.pennygotch.co.uk